Dented Crystal can fix by Diamond Paste?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dented Crystal can fix by Diamond Paste?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SOG

Question Dented Crystal can fix by Diamond Paste?

I bought a Rolex and another watch from a member here earlier, and the description said the Rollex's crystal is in perfect
    condition. But when it arrives, I found the edges have some Dents, He said he didn't
    see them earlier, so didn't mean to make the mistake on the description, in a way, I do trust him.

So what should I do now? Anyone know how to somehow fix the crystal? I think replacing it would be too pricy... like USD600?
    Reserving + Crystal Price ? And I think diamond paste is only for mineral glass? But even if it works, it won't be easy to polish this part?
    Just wanted to find a solution, was planning to get a new Bracelet and give my father as Birthday... but now the crystal...

By the way, the other watch's automatic swing rotor is sort of scratching the button, I can see it
    not moving very smoothly, and have created a circular mark at the bottom, will that create any problems?
    But the watch seems to be running fine though

My First time uploading pictures, hope it's clear.

Best Regards,
    Jason

Name:  2012-08-27_18-50-39.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  67.7 KBName:  2012-08-27_18-50-23.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  69.2 KB
    Last edited by SOG; August 27th, 2012 at 13:17. Reason: spelling mistakes, ha ha ha

Re: Dented Crystal can fix by Diamond Paste?

Diamond paste is a buffing or polishing compound that removes surrounding crystal material until it is at the same level as the chipped out areas. Polishing down those chips would be a lot of work and I think you would lose the nice defined edge on that crystal. With that many chips I would expect that the bezel and case is comparably scratched or has been buffed.

I don't understand what button the rotor could rub against. Although rotors can make a bit of noise that sound concerns me. If the rotor is actually rubbing the case back then the rotor bearing is worn. Your description makes me think you have a very used watch. You should take the watch to a Rolex dealer for a repair estimate and renegotiate the price. Or simply get your money back.
    Last edited by John MS; August 27th, 2012 at 14:42.

Have you even made sure that the watch you bought is genuine? The seller has already shown himself to be dishonest.... tread carefully...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

SOG

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Diamond paste is a buffing or polishing compound that removes surrounding crystal material until it is at the same level as the chipped out areas. Polishing down those chips would be a lot of work and I think you would lose the nice defined edge on that crystal. With that many chips I would expect that the bezel and case is comparably scratched or has been buffed.

I don't understand what button the rotor could rub against. Although rotors can make a bit of noise that sound concerns me. If the rotor is actually rubbing the case back then the rotor bearing is worn. Your description makes me think you have a very used watch. You should take the watch to a Rolex dealer for a repair estimate and renegotiate the price. Or simply get your money back.
    Hi John, thanks for the feedback, so it would be very hard to fix the crystal without notice? or might be very hard? But to fix it must cost over 150? (I think the crystal itself is 150?)
    I think.. (I can't actually see) the rotor isn't really touching the crystal at the button, but it does leave a circle mark, I wonder if it's dust inside... from other areas
    from the watch, it doesn't look very use, but then again I don't know how to tell, I just tell by the surface scratches. and in this watch, only very few surface scratches.
    Is there someways to see it just form the back? the watch have a crystal back.

Quote Originally Posted by seoulseeker View Post
    Have you even made sure that the watch you bought is genuine? The seller has already shown himself to be dishonest.... tread carefully...
    Hi Seoulseeker, I did check the serial number at the lug, it looks real... um... actually maybe I should go check it, not quite sure how to check by myself? But the
    person who sell the watch said he didn't see the dent, I think it would not be easy to see unless it's under the right light condition too... what do you guys think?
    The dent look too big to miss?

The watch needs repair work which could involve substantial money. Assuming it is a real Rolex for which you paid a considerable sum of money you should get the work done correctly by Rolex. Please take the watch in for a repair estimate. Once you have that information negotiate a lower price with the seller. Or return the watch for refund. Don't look for cheap half fixes or try to repair the crystal at home.

Either return it, or have the guy pay for repairs. Doesn't matter if he didn't see it. Hes 100% liable. I had a situation like this myself. "Fully serviced" Ha!

Sent via Tapatalk

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

SOG

Thanks guys for the feedback, I will discuss with the seller... but if item is not as description, he needed to pay for the service/repair fee?

He doesn't have to repair it, but he should take it back and refund you. If you want to keep it, then you would negotiate a partial refund.
    ShaggyDog likes this.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

A genuine Rolex Explorer II should not have a crystal caseback, please take a photo of the movement through the caseback, which is the easiest way to authenticate a Rolex. In any case, even if the watch is genuine, it has an aftermarket display caseback.

The crystal in any case is very badly scratched up, and anyone who claims that they didn't notice it is either lying to you, or is extraordinarily rough with their watches. In either case, I would demand a full refund, and walk away from this deal.
    Last edited by mleok; August 29th, 2012 at 05:51.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by SOG View Post
    Thanks guys for the feedback, I will discuss with the seller... but if item is not as
    description, he needed to pay for the service/repair fee?
    Please, please just send the watch back and get your money. No more analysis.
    Lcoopie likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information