Describe your ultimate watch winder features

Thread: Describe your ultimate watch winder features

Describe your ultimate watch winder features

So I'm thinking about building my own winder that is controlled by a microprocessor. I've got a few ideas about winding features but since the control of the motor speed, frequency, ect is basically limitless I'd love some ideas from others out there.

The basic features are the normal winder stuff...direction, speed (TPD) but then it can get into advanced things like full speed turns for 10 seconds every 30 minutes ect. That way someone can control the movement to be more "real" and possibly best balance winding with wear.

So if you could design the rotation patterns...what would you do? Software control, dials/switches, ect? I'm thinking USB or battery powered and software setup :)
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 | Omega SMP 300m | TAG Heuer Kirium F1 | HTP | Fossil Titanium Chrono | Alba Orange Chrono AF8F13X

Re: Describe your ultimate watch winder features

I too made my first winders using a microprocessor, and quickly got carried away with figuring out all of the various features it had to have - number of rotations/day, quick wind function, direction of rotation, randomness and probably some others I've already forgotten about. But all that was way overkill - I would just set it up to rotate the watch a bit more than what's supposedly necessary to keep it fully wound and never use the other features. I believe most movements need between 750 and 1000 rotations/day to keep them fully wound.

Now I'm working on ones that are much more visually interesting and doing away with the microprocessors altogether. Some might have a single control to vary the speed a little, but most probably wouldn't even have that. And if I can get them to run long enough, some wouldn't even have any motor at all.

Advice taken. I do have a tendency to get a bit carried away...

I'm currently sourcing motors but if you have leads I'm open. I was thinking a small DC motor with a PWM controller. Possibly the older/weaksauce RC motors. They can be had for just a few bucks.
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 | Omega SMP 300m | TAG Heuer Kirium F1 | HTP | Fossil Titanium Chrono | Alba Orange Chrono AF8F13X

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

When you tech boys have agreed on the ultimate watchwinder, maybe you can explain the construction to us" non tech" guys! we will be very grateful!

heres a thought put up by wolf winders, dreemont, rob kaplan and a host of watchmakers. after you set the tpd, build in a rest of 18 hours in 24. your tpd should be timed for 6 hours. reason is a watch kept fully wound weakens the middle of the main spring, eventually lessening the power reserve of the watch hastening its service interval.main springs are designed to be dynamic, not designed to stay fully wound.

Quote Originally Posted by yamahaki View Post
    heres a thought put up by wolf winders, dreemont, rob kaplan and a host of watchmakers. after you set the tpd, build in a rest of 18 hours in 24. your tpd should be timed for 6 hours. reason is a watch kept fully wound weakens the middle of the main spring, eventually lessening the power reserve of the watch hastening its service interval.main springs are designed to be dynamic, not designed to stay fully wound.
    BINGO thats what I'm looking for. Thats what I was hinting at with the idea of on for 10 seconds, off for 30 minutes type of thing. But I like the idea of doing a longer wind/unwind.

Been there- done that.

Don

Ok now THAT is dedication LOL.

Don, thats cool. I take it you have way too much free time?

Quote Originally Posted by yamahaki View Post
    Don, thats cool. I take it you have way too much free time?
    It's the last time they try to take me off my medication.

Don

Thread Information