Desirability of Rolex and Omega

Thread: Desirability of Rolex and Omega

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Desirability of Rolex and Omega

I spend time every day on the Sales Corner here and on TZ and it seems that large numbers of Rolex and Omega are constantly up for sale. I am the type of guy that buys a watch because I want to keep it permanently since it appeals to me. So why is it that so many admittedly fine watches are continually changing hands? What gives? Why the constant turnover?

Just curious.
    I know nothing except the fact of my own ignorance. Socrates

Re: Desirability of Rolex and Omega

Rolex and Omega sell a lot of pieces -- Rolex makes more watches each year than Patek Phillippe has ever made in its history. I think you just see turnover here because people tend to be collectors -- I'm sure there are plenty of people who buy Rolexes and Omegas and never sell them. They seem to hold their value pretty well too, so maybe it makes more sense to sell them?

These are just my guesses =P

Quote Originally Posted by vinylgreek View Post
    I spend time every day on the Sales Corner here and on TZ and it seems that large numbers of Rolex and Omega are constantly up for sale. I am the type of guy that buys a watch because I want to keep it permanently since it appeals to me. So why is it that so many admittedly fine watches are continually changing hands? What gives? Why the constant turnover?

Just curious.
    These watches (Rolex in particular) have high name brand recognition. If I was in a position to have to sell a watch from my collection, I could expect to receive more on the sale of one of these than from a lesser-valued item, such as a Hamilton or a Seiko. Some of the lower-end items (Citizen, Timex) probably wouldn't be worth listing, as they can be purchased new for a little more than the shipping costs to sell it to a private buyer.

Just my opinion... your mileage may vary.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Rolex makes close to 1,000,000 watches and Omega 700,000 yearly they're bound to show up more often.
    -Jarrod

sometimes you end up with too many of the same type of watch. in there case, maybe they have 4 omegas and some are too close as far as design, so one goes up for sale. nothing wrong with the watch.

DMB
    Banned

And sometimes .....

the wife finds out you just spent over 3K on a watch and it then becomes a matter of selling the watch or getting neutered. Hey, a man has to have his priorities. - David

Re: And sometimes .....

Quote Originally Posted by DMB View Post
    the wife finds out you just spent over 3K on a watch and it then becomes a matter of selling the watch or getting neutered. Hey, a man has to have his priorities. - David
    If the watch were really that good...

Only kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by yamahaki View Post
    sometimes you end up with too many of the same type of watch. in there case, maybe they have 4 omegas and some are too close as far as design, so one goes up for sale. nothing wrong with the watch.
    So yamahaki, its kind of like when I was a kid and I was trading baseball cards with my buddies?

I guess I'm just not that vested in a particular brand so that I feel the need to own large quantities of the same marque. Courtesy of you and a few others on WUS I have a pretty complete wish list that I will gradually be crossing off. You specifically got me looking at the Anonimos.

It's hard to say, but I suspect that even most Rolex fans aren't rich enough to keep a drawerful of watches they don't wear...unlike people with Seiko divers or G-Shocks or other less high-priced watches.

I have to admit I've wondered the same thing when I see so many luxury watches on the sales sites...
    Keep List:

Seiko SKXA35 Auto Diver
    Stauer Day/Date/Month Auto
    Glycine Incursore 100M Auto
    O&W Ocean Master Vintage handwinder
    G-Shock GW3000BD-1ajfa
    G-Shock MTG910DA-1
    Citizen EcoZilla diver
    Hamilton Khaki Officer 44mm Unitas w/custom hands and lume
    Volmax Aviator 45mm handwinder
    Laco 42mm B-Type Flieger

Wish List:

Glycine Eugene Meylan
    Hamilton Jazzmaster PR
    Meistersinger Singlehand
    A +40mm Seiko Alpinist, if Seiko ever decides to make one...

My wrist size - 8"/20.3cm

Considering some folks are constantly moving closer to their 'grail watch' perhaps the Rolex, Omega is a 'stepping stone' to that grail. Sell/trade to get one step closer to the one you want. Trade 2 nice pieces for one really nice piece, etc until you can trade part of your collection (plus cash) to get the 'ultimate' (to you) watch.

The other thought I had was, as was mentioned Rolex and Omega churn out many watches a year. Which means you'll see them show up often for sale. Which means, if you are patient and watching the sales, you can get a good deal on a Rolex/Omega and when/if you flip it later, your net loss won't be too bad. Or you might make money

Just my .02 worth...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information