WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Desk Divers Unite! How do you deal with it?

25K views 52 replies 46 participants last post by  exitium 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

As my collection grows, I notice the watches I wear at work are getting scuffed up on the bottom of the bracelet, some call this desk diving.

I have read some threads saying there's no solution to this, only corrective actions (buffing with scotch bright). I do not like this and would rather prevent the scuffs rather than deal with it after the fact.

How do you deal with desk diving?o|:p

#23 ·
Re: Desk Divers Unit! How do you deal with it?

In the past, I have found that a small piece of scotch tape on the clasp does perfect. New piece every day, obviously disposable haha.
I have a co-worker that does this with a nice Omega. The tape looks worse than any desk swirly I've every seen! It reminds me of this:

#5 ·

If you wear a watch, it's going to show evidence of wear.

About the only thing I've found that prevents scuffs like this on bracelets is wearing long sleeve shirts. Even then, sleeves get pulled up and scuffs happen.

#6 ·

I keep my note pad on my desk where my left hand rests, if it's in the mood to rest on the desk.

I tried the bubble wrap thing, but some people can't resist reaching out and popping it...

#7 ·

Unless you are going to protect your clasp with a film of some sort you will just have to grin and bear it. Like another poster has already said "watches are meant to be worn" The clasp on my Oris ProDiver Date was in pretty good condition until I went to the Peak District and it came off worst in an argument with a dry stone wall. I was advised to say that I had been in a fight with a bear. If someone comments about the scratches on your watch you could tell them the same thing. :)

#8 ·

I agree with everything you guys posted...

Only thing I dont like is that the action of being at work and sitting at my desk is causing wear on my watch. I dont care if I get scratches on my watch while im out and about, thats fine, but when im sitting down and typing??? that really bothers me.

#9 ·

Get a desk protector for your desk. I found that some cubicle desk surfaces are murder on watches. A nice plastic mat will prevent a lot of scratches.

#24 ·

Minor swirls add character and let folks know u get use of ur watches and not hide them in a winder.
This is it. Sure it'd be nice to prevent any mark on the clasp forever, but eventually they are going to come, it's best to just accept and embrace it. If this clasp were suddenly unmarked and pristine, it wouldn't feel like it was mine.

Reactions: somery
#15 ·

A lot of good responses, including comical ones. I'm glad you guys have a sense of humor. But seriously, I'll try the mouse pad approach and see how that works, im glad im not the only one thats concerned about my stuff :)

#22 ·

A lot of good responses, including comical ones. I'm glad you guys have a sense of humor. But seriously, I'll try the mouse pad approach and see how that works, im glad im not the only one thats concerned about my stuff :)
How about a paper desk calendar?

#18 ·

As a lefty who wears his watch on his left hand...my watches get pretty banged up at the desk. As others have said...wear marks add character to the watch. But if you're really concerned about it...the mouse pad trick works pretty well.

Thx...Doug

#20 ·

Swap the bracelet for a strap. Everything looks better on a strap anyway ;).

I've heard of people using clear tape, as someone mentioned, and I've also heard of someone putting a coat of clear nail polish on the bracelet to protect it. I dunno what nail polish remover does to steel though, if you want to remove it...

Reactions: iceman66 and MEzz
#26 ·
Plus when your daily wearer gets really scratched up...you can always have your watch repairman get those scratches out. I did that with my Raymond Weil after 10 yrs of abuse, and it came out looking brand new. I'm sure there are people who frown on refinishing a watch...but what the hell...it's meant to be loved...and worn!

Thx...Doug

#28 ·
My first thought was 'suck it up princess'. Second thought... Yup, still the same.
;-)
Character is what you can only get with time. Wear your watches to the gym, on road trips, hiking and just enjoy it. Stop trying to turn it into an investment.
:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

#29 · (Edited)
I wouldn't worry about this too much. After all you aren't scratching or scuffing the watch, just the underside of your bracelet clasp or strap buckle which is normal wear you get from having a timepiece on your wrist.

#30 ·

I don't care. That's my way of dealing with it. Expensive watches, cheap watches - doesn't matter. I simply enjoy wearing them and forget the rest!

Here's me 'desk diving' with my most expensive watch:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.