Dial Flaw Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Professor Pickle

Thread: Dial Flaw Help

Dial Flaw Help

Hello Everyone! This is my first post after reading the forums for about a month. I would like to thank you all for your expertise. I have learned much during this past month.

On the advice of many in the forums, two weeks ago I purchased a Seiko SARB033 from a AD in Japan that receives much praise in the forums. The AD was fantastic and I LOVE the watch.

A couple days after purchasing the watch, I noticed a few flaws in the dial that seemed initially like dust and a small but noticeable spot. I scoured the forums for advice but could not find any definitive advice. I decided to take the watch to a local watch repair shop here in Chicago. Long story short, they were able to remove the spot but left noticeable scratches on the dial.

I scoured the forums again, contacted a number of WUS recommended businesses, am waiting for replies from others, and seem to have a few options none of which seem ideal. 1) Deal with the dial scratches 2) See if the AD in Japan can acquire a new dial for me (still waiting on replies from Japan) 3) Refinish the dial (seems like a major headache and hit or miss in terms of quality of work) 4) Purchase a new watch (Would like to avoid this but my budget does allow for it).

#2 seems like the best option but when I calculate shipping, service costs, and the amount of time without the watch (I LOVE THE WATCH), it seems like buying a new watch may be the least hassle.

I tried taking pictures of the scratches for you all but the resolution is not good enough.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated and I thank you all in advance.

Re: Dial Flaw Help

Why wouldn't the service shop be responsible for fixing the damage they caused?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkingTime View Post
    Why wouldn't the service shop be responsible for fixing the damage they caused?
    The owner of the service shop said there is nothing he can do and has no clue how he can even source a dial from the JDM. He said if I can find the dial he would install it for free.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like a cop out. He causes damage and then you have to spend time sourcing parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Pickle View Post
    The owner of the service shop said there is nothing he can do and has no clue how he can even source a dial from the JDM. He said if I can find the dial he would install it for free.
    I just don't know if I trust this guy to do anything more. I would see what Seiko would charge to get it fixed and press him to pay that.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    I just don't know if I trust this guy to do anything more. I would see what Seiko would charge to get it fixed and press him to pay that.

Sorry to hear about your situation.
    Thank You CitizenM. I have already contacted Seiko and am awaiting reply. I will definitely press him to pay the bill. You live and learn.
    CitizenM likes this.

Thread Information