Dial/Strap advise needed

Thread: Dial/Strap advise needed

Dial/Strap advise needed

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an Oris Miles rectangular Lunar/Complication to wear with dress/smart casual. There are different combinations of dials/straps available and I can't make my mind between the black dial and the blue dial:
    Name:  IMG-20130303-12017.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  sany0010.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  99.6 KB

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...sd-109529.html

or the same watch with a blue dial (sorry, can't find photos of anyone wearing this watch)
    Name:  247_581_7528_40_61_mb.png
Views: 315
Size:  148.3 KB
    01 581 7528 4061-07 8 22 68 - Oris Rectangular Complication 2002 - Oris Rectangular - Culture - Collection - Oris - Purely mechanical Swiss watches.

I know that's this is a matter of taste, but what do you think would give a more classier look: a black dial/black strap or a silver dial/bracelet?
    I think It can be also possible to go with the silver dial and to buy a strap separately, though I am not sure if black strap goes well with silver dial/blue prints.

I'm not interested in brown strap, since I already have this toy:
    Name:  12beau10.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  158.4 KB

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks
    Alex

Re: Dial/Strap advise needed

A black is usually the dressier look, but can also be versatile enough to pass for casual as well.

If you want a bit more color, the blue dial, black strap ( as well as a nice dark/honey brown strap) would look good as well and could double for both.

White is also very popular, but tends to be seen as more casual than dress for this type of watch.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

From the little I know about "watchiquette", black and white dials should go fine with any black and brown straps - it's worth mentioning that brown can be a bit tricky with some shades of black.

For a blue dial, I would stick to black. Again, just my taste - as it's been pointed out, some shades of brown should complement it nicely.

I think white/silver faced watches tend to be the most versatile in the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by alexk-il View Post
    I'm not interested in brown strap, since I already have this toy:
    Name:  12beau10.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  158.4 KB
    Now here comes what I really wanted to know about this thread - how do you like this toy??? I have my eyes on this watch for a couple of months now, but never found anyone who had first-hand experience with it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by alx007 View Post

Now here comes what I really wanted to know about this thread - how do you like this toy??? I have my eyes on this watch for a couple of months now, but never found anyone who had first-hand experience with it.
    Thanks for your advise.

As for the Junkers, I have mixed feeling about the watch.

Good:
    Very beautiful on hand, get noticed, mostly accurate (see below)

Bad:
    The rotor is very noisy, reliability issues (see below), feels cheap - the built quality is not on par with its look. A reaction of one of my friends was:
    "Nice watch, may I see it?" After seeing it - "Well, at least it's built in Germany, should be reliable"

Accuracy/reliability:
    My first copy gave me +4 s/d on my hand, -6s/d while laying down on its acrylic dome. Wearing the watch during the day and laying it on the glass gave me a surprising +/- 2sec a day accuracy. Unfortunately the watch stopped ticking after a month. Not sure if this was a defect or the watch didn't like laying upside down.

A replacement copy from Amazon was even more accurate: +/-1 sec on wrist, +-4 sec while laying down (this time glass up :) ). Not sure if this normal, both copies were running really slow once the power reserve were less than 24 hours. I think it's -30 seconds after 30+ hours without winding.

How I feel about the watch? It's a really nice toy, but slightly overpriced to my opinion. I'd rather have today either a cheaper Seagull Air-force 1963 or may be a more expensive but still reliable vintage watch from 50s-60s. None of them will match the accuracy of Junkers, but at least it would be a real thing with a history :)
    Last edited by alexk-il; October 22nd, 2013 at 13:36.

Choose the dial colour you like first (no right or wrong here); if that is available with a bracelet then always get in on bracelet, and buy an aftermarket strap for £30.

If it were my shout I would go for the black dial on the Miles but as Geoff pointed out there is no right or wrong so just go for the one you like most.

Thread Information