Dial sun fading
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ThymeKeeper
  • 1 Post By soaking.fused
  • 2 Post By stuffler,mike
  • 1 Post By sleepyhead123

Thread: Dial sun fading

Dial sun fading

Is this something you usually think about and try to avoid? Do you have any watches that has been faded because of you?

Banned

Re: Dial sun fading

I don't totally understand what you're asking, but I think you're asking if us WIS avoid direct sunlight on our watches so the dials don't fade. If so, I think I can speak for the majority that faded dials can be a great thing. Patina and aged watches are great things, so no, I definitely don't go out of my way to keep sun of my watch dials
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.

I don't seek out sun damage, and keep my watches stored away from light when stored. I have had watches that, over time exhibit some fading and weathering, but have not purposely ever tried to create or accelerate the patina of age.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130G World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph 49150, Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

I reside in sunny AZ and I still try not to sweat this. Just don't store watches in the direct sunlight or under nonstop fluorescent light and all should be well.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I don’t care at all.
    MZhammer and SeanoftheDead516 like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by Henken View Post
    Is this something you usually think about and try to avoid? Do you have any watches that has been faded because of you?
    None of my wrist watches have faded from exposure to the sun. It is not the kind of patina I would seek out. A watch would have to be very special for me to accept it with a noticeably sun damaged dial.

My skin gave out long before any watch dial ever did. These days, I really try to avoid spending too much time in the sun. I suppose if I were a sun-bather or someone who spent hours in the sun each day, I’d probably be a bit concerned about over-exposing an expensive watch.

It happens. I'd spend more effort on keeping the hair and skin from fading before a watch.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Could someone provide a list of modern watch dials which could be faded by fluorescent light?

I suspect that it would be a rather short list.

Quote Originally Posted by Longjean View Post
    Could someone provide a list of modern watch dials which could be faded by fluorescent light?

I suspect that it would be a rather short list.
    Don't know who would test that (and what company would be dumb enough to send a sample to someone who would). Also it would depend a lot on distance since light intensity is inversely related to the SQUARE of distance.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Thread Information