Difference between clasps, bracelets?

Thread: Difference between clasps, bracelets?

Difference between clasps, bracelets?

I see that there are different kind of clasps on watches. How do they differ?

I've only had the basic rubber kind of strap before and am now considering purchasing a watch with a metal bracelet. Can I adjust the metal bracelets?

Tried a bit of googling but couldn't find anything about these things.

stuffler,mike

Re: Difference between clasps, bracelets?

You may have a look at the pictures of www.internationalwatchman.com (braclets, deployment buckles, buckles) and you´ll get an idea. And yes - braclets are adjustable.

Re: Difference between clasps, bracelets?

Mike is right - its best to look at multiple sites and get an idea of what is out there and how they work.

Another issue, but related, is that Bracelets can be "integrated" into the watch head itself. What this means is that they do not use a standard coupling system for the strap-watch (spring bars of specific mm sizes are the common method). This leaves you with one option for wearing the watch - period. If that bracelet breaks you have to find the precise part (often impossible if it is more than a few months later). Also, you can not change the look of the watch by changing to a strap or a different bracelet.

Many bracelets have links that can be removed to adjust the size. This is great unless you need to adjust to a finer degree than one full link. Many bracelets also have multiple holes for the spring bars thereby allowing much finer adjustments. However, there are many bracelets (some of VERY expensive watches) that do not have such fine adjustments available. Many friends have been unhappy with such arrangements because they feel that the bracelet is either too large or too small but never just right.

These are factors when looking at a potential new watch. I know, prior to my purchasing my first Seiko 5 some time ago I had not ever heard about "integrated" bracelets. I got one and its been a pain as its just a wee bit too small and I just don't wear the watch because it becomes increasingly annoying to do so over time if I do wear it.

Good luck.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.

Thread Information