Different feel on the wrist with different straps?

Thread: Different feel on the wrist with different straps?

Question Different feel on the wrist with different straps?

I was wondering if this truly makes a difference. I have a diver's watch that is a bit thick and heavy feeling on my wrist. Came stock with a thin leather strap. I hate the way my Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro diver sits on my wrist, but absolutely love the watch in every other respect. Will swapping out the thin leather strap with a thicker rubber strap make a difference, or will I likely have to sell this beautiful timepiece because my wrist doesn't love it as much as I do?
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Re: Different feel on the wrist with different straps?

I would try it with a thick rubber strap or even a NATO or a ZULU because they have many settings enabling one to get a perfect fit. With a thick watch that is also heavier it is not as easy to stop the annoying sliding around which makes a watch uncomfortable.

Different straps definitely make a difference. A well-fit strap/bracelet makes the weight of the watch head less noticeable, in my opinion, by balancing the watch head and keeping the watch from shifting about too much.

For rubber dive straps, I'm a big fan of the Isofrane rubber straps. They are thick and balance nicely, both visually and physically. Getting mine was a revelation in comfort and fit.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I say they make a subtle, but definitely noticeable difference. I had a few watches I never wore because of how awkward they felt on the wrist. One day, I swapped their stock straps with some extra NATOs, and they were soon seeing wrist time.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    I was wondering if this truly makes a difference. I have a diver's watch that is a bit thick and heavy feeling on my wrist. Came stock with a thin leather strap. I hate the way my Christopher Ward C60 Trident Pro diver sits on my wrist, but absolutely love the watch in every other respect. Will swapping out the thin leather strap with a thicker rubber strap make a difference, or will I likely have to sell this beautiful timepiece because my wrist doesn't love it as much as I do?
    Yes, the strap will definitely make a difference. There are quite a few reasons for the differences. Material, padding, buckle, tang vs. deployant, and strap length. I have a strap where the buckle side of the strap is a bit shorter from the hole side. I have another where they're about the same length. Due to the size of my wrist, the short buckle strap fits near the edge of the wrist rather than the middle, making it uncomfortable.

I've found the deployant style straps are generally the most comfortable. They will also help extend the life of your strap.

Mike

Yes I find strap changes can drastically change the feel and appearance.

dive/watersport

Casual, business office (sorry for the cam flash glare shot, Image shack is farting out, not allowing access to my better image)

General outdoor, military, watersport

Civvy

military
    Last edited by kramer5150; February 5th, 2012 at 20:42.

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

I've got several aftermarket straps in different styles lying around. I'll try them out to see if they'll cause my wrist to love my CW as much as I do.

Thanks again.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity here and there. Not the other way around." ~ John Cleese.

Thread Information