Difficulty setting time and keeping power reserve
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bradjhomes

Thread: Difficulty setting time and keeping power reserve

Difficulty setting time and keeping power reserve

Not sure if this is the right subforum, but please feel free to move this thread if necessary.

Hoping someone here has some insights into what's wrong with my watch...

I recently acquired a vintage edox skydive (automatic) from a local seller, and its obvious the watch hasn't been serviced in years.

1. As shown in the video link below, I can't set the time by pulling out the crown - I have to "push up and turn the crown" in order to the move the hands, and it only works by turning clockwise. Moving the hands by turning the crown clockwise is almost next to impossible.

2. Additionally, I've caught the second getting stuck a few times within a 8 hour period. It moves after giving it a good few shakes, or by pulling the crown out and pushing it back it.

Hopefully the WUS community can shed some light on possible reasons why the edox is behaving this way...

https://imgur.com/PeZpJbJ

I know I can just take it to a watch repair store, but I'm hoping to learn more about the workings of movements through trying to service/repair my own watches.. with this edox being my first try.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Difficulty setting time and keeping power reserve

I'm afraid you're not going to get an accurate diagnosis via an internet forum.

People can make suggestions (such as hands not being seated correctly), but the watch needs to be serviced - taken apart, cleaned, lubricated, assessed for worn or damaged parts, then reassembled.

You could give this a go yourself, but in all honesty it's better to start with a cheap, fully working watch so you know what it should all look like and how it all works before you attempt to fix a broken watch. Once you've learnt the basics you can start moving on from there, but if you take it apart are you really going to have a clue what looks right and what looks wrong? Because any individual part could be need replacing or cleaning or lubricating and that's not going to diagnosed via a video and a few posts here I'm afraid.
    Barge and soaking.fused like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

A complete overhaul might be in place. When buying didn‘t you check the watch is working as supposed ? Setting time, setting date, date change at 12 ?
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The watch sounds like it needs a full overhaul and service. I’d leave it to the pros since a watch of the quality of the Edox isn’t one I’d want to learn on.

take it in for a full service, you won't be able to get precise answer from any of us here
    and this isn't something you should attempt as your first try

Thread Information