Dilema over the first watch to buy. Tissot or Tag?
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Dilema over the first watch to buy. Tissot or Tag?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Dilema over the first watch to buy. Tissot or Tag?

I am new to watches, but in the last few weeks I have been reading this forum and done research. Seen bunch in person, read about how they are made etc. I know what I want, to some extent. In my head I have two types of watches that I want to own.

1) A retro watch, that reminds me of my childhood when I would see my dad and grandfather having their watches. They were simple, but beautiful. I have narrowed it down to Tissot Visodate (White dial, brown strap) or Le Locle (white dial, black strap). I respect the Tissot brand, these are automatic watches, well made that hopefully will last for a long time. But I can not chose between the two. I feel that Le Locle is a retro watch, but more of an everyday watch, versatile as a dress watch and an everyday work watch. Also looks good with a stainless steel band. Visodate has its own timeless beauty, but feel that is more of a dressy watch and may not work for an everyday watch as well. It was my favorite for few days, but now is somewhat even with the Le Locle.

Name:  relogio-tissot-heritage-visodate-t0194301603101-982a43.jpg
Views: 2318
Size:  160.2 KBName:  TissotLeLocle.jpg
Views: 2358
Size:  1.65 MB
    What do you think? Is Visodate an everyday watch in your view? Not into Hamilton Jazzmaster, and have considered but gotten away from Seiko's Cocktail time.

2) Tag Carrera Calibre 5. To me these simple, black dial, stainless steel watches are the ultimate dressy/classy watch. Simple, yet, so elegant. Not sure if I want to spend $1,500 for it and find a good used one. A friend of my is urging me to do it. His words " We men do not have make up, and other stuff to dress up, watches and that is about it. Waking up everyday and putting in a good watch would just make you feel good and going to business meetings, you make a certain representation."

Name:  Tag-Heuer-Carrera-Calibre-5-Day-Date-894x495.jpg
Views: 2363
Size:  68.2 KB

Don't like Rolex, Tudor, etc, but I have a weak spot for Longines. I respect Omega, but not into the Speedmaster style, just yet. Any recommendation in this price range, that is similar to the Carrera watch from Longines, Omega or Breitling? A watch that makes a statement, but not over the top?

Thanks for the input! Debating over and over and just can't make up my mind.

Re: Dilema over the first watch to buy. Tissot or Tag?

Of the three watches posted I would say choose the Le Locle. I don't like the thickness of the Visodate and Heuer's reputation is not what it once was. You should also consider other watches in that price range namely FC's modified ETA watches if you want to spend Visodate money or a used Longines Master Collection if you want to spend TAG money.

i have the le locle and find it very versatile. it can be dressed up or down.

I have no love for tags. The one you selected is plain and clean but i find it uninspiring.

For me, either tissot is the better choice
    JLC Heraion Chronograph
    Rolex Sub 11610 & Datejust
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Hesalite
    Baume Et Mercier Capeland Flyback Chrono
    Frederique Constant Classic Moonphase & 303mc4p6
    Hamilton Jazzmaster Regulator
    Tissot Le Locle
    Steinhart Type A B-Uhr & Marine Chronometer
    Citizen Calibre 5700
    Seiko SNDF87P1 Chronograph & snk793

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Check out Longines Heritage line.
    KiwiWomble likes this.
    Main Rotation: ROLEX SubC 116610 / OMEGA Speedmaster 3750.50 / OMEGA Aqua Terra 2503.33 / HAMILTON Field Khaki
    Seiko: SRP775 Turtle Reissue / 6139-6002 "Pogue" (blue dial) / 6106 Sea Lion / Orange Monster
    Others: OMEGA 1959 cal. 500 Seamaster / RAYMOND WEIL Othello / LONGINES Tank c. 1940s (currently on the wrist of my lady-friend)

TAG with a white dial.

Check out the Tissot dress watches with the Powermatic 80 movement (not sure the model names offhand)- I would get one of those. I really like the idea of an 80 hour power reserve.
    Nokie likes this.

What about something by Frederique Constant?

I tried the Le Locle but couldn't get on with it - it looked gorgeous in pictures but I found it too bulky when I tried it on - simply didn't fit my wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorMCMC View Post
    Of the three watches posted I would say choose the Le Locle. I don't like the thickness of the Visodate and Heuer's reputation is not what it once was. You should also consider other watches in that price range namely FC's modified ETA watches if you want to spend Visodate money or a used Longines Master Collection if you want to spend TAG money.
    Ok so I went and looked at the Master Collection. Compared to La Locle, the model is very similar, but there is a $1,000 difference.

While quality does not increase linearly with price in watch world, is that price difference justifiable for a Longines?

Name:  L2.628.4.78.3.jpg
Views: 2466
Size:  44.4 KB
    Last edited by twix68; January 24th, 2015 at 05:14.

Retro looking Seiko Cocktail Time. Though over budget have a look at Federique Constant slimline moonphase, display back and beautifully decorated in house movement with bracelet option, grey market dealers have them on deep discount.
    Name:  FC_Slimline_Tourbillon_3-1024x768.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  194.3 KB

I feel that it could be considering Longines is more higher end and is a step above Tissot. More or less you will be paying for the name but will get a higher quality watch. Try checking out Hamilton. Their jazzmaster collection might offer you something you might like. For me when it comes to watches I have a few questions before I purchase. They are am I going to wear this often? Can I dress this up or down? Does it look and fit right on my wrist? Can I compare this to something similar? Is it in my price range? What if the similar watch looks better but has a better price? As long as I can answer those questions and really love the watch 9 times out of 10 I will purchase it.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information