Dilemma, Help!

Thread: Dilemma, Help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Inactive

Dilemma, Help!

Ok, I have a strange situation. I have 3 watches, a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Air King (Self winding mechanical), A Citizen Eco Drive (Solar powered), and just a regular Insense (never heard of it personally) battery watch. My problem is, none of them keep time correctly!

I want to use one of these watches and i need to get them repaired obviously. The problem with the Eco Drive is that the crystal is cracked over the date, making it impossible to read, the problem with the battery watch seems to be something other than the battery because I just put a new one in. The Rolex, passed down from my uncle, seems to work, but only keeps accurate time for about six hours or so after i take it off (which doesn't seem right to me and isn't enough because i have to reset it every morning.) Also, being sixteen i don't know if it's wise to wear that watch in particular every day.

So what i'm asking is, which watch would be the most worthwhile to fix, taking in account cost in particular, thanks in advance!

V8

Re: Dilemma, Help!

Quote Originally Posted by zepplinne View Post
    Ok, I have a strange situation. I have 3 watches, a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Air King (Self winding mechanical), A Citizen Eco Drive (Solar powered), and just a regular Insense (never heard of it personally) battery watch. My problem is, none of them keep time correctly!

I want to use one of these watches and i need to get them repaired obviously. The problem with the Eco Drive is that the crystal is cracked over the date, making it impossible to read, the problem with the battery watch seems to be something other than the battery because I just put a new one in. The Rolex, passed down from my uncle, seems to work, but only keeps accurate time for about six hours or so after i take it off (which doesn't seem right to me and isn't enough because i have to reset it every morning.) Also, being sixteen i don't know if it's wise to wear that watch in particular every day.

So what i'm asking is, which watch would be the most worthwhile to fix, taking in account cost in particular, thanks in advance!
    Fix the Rolex and by a used Seiko monster for $130.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    Fix the Rolex and by a used Seiko monster for $130.
    seiko monsters a bit too complex for me, i like the clean simple look

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

To get the Rolex repaired can cost you a lot of money, so be prepared.

The Rolex is in need of a full service but that is going to cost you several hundred bucks...it will be worth fixing! So for now put that one away until you can get is serviced properly. The citizen can just be sent off to citizens repair shop and it should be $30-$50 to have a crystal replaced. (Just a guess but seems right). Any Eco-Drive is worth replacing a crystal in if there are no other problems. The other one sounds like a cheap quartz, not worth fixing, unless somebody else knows more or you post some photos. So I would send out the Citizen, and keep the Rolex put away in a safe place until you have $500 or so to send it out for a service. In the mean time if you need a watch go to Wal-Mart and pick up a Timex Explorer for $30, rugged and good looking it will keep your wrist happy until the Citizen comes back
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Put money aside to fix the Rolex. Buy a Casio G-Shock atomic for around $80 and it will always be accurate

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by sixtysix View Post
    The Rolex is in need of a full service but that is going to cost you several hundred bucks...it will be worth fixing! So for now put that one away until you can get is serviced properly. The citizen can just be sent off to citizens repair shop and it should be $30-$50 to have a crystal replaced. (Just a guess but seems right). Any Eco-Drive is worth replacing a crystal in if there are no other problems. The other one sounds like a cheap quartz, not worth fixing, unless somebody else knows more or you post some photos. So I would send out the Citizen, and keep the Rolex put away in a safe place until you have $500 or so to send it out for a service. In the mean time if you need a watch go to Wal-Mart and pick up a Timex Explorer for $30, rugged and good looking it will keep your wrist happy until the Citizen comes back
    Yeah, the Rolex is apparently very expensive to fix, for the Citizen, should I take it into a watch repair store or actually send it in to Citizen?

Quote Originally Posted by zepplinne View Post
    Yeah, the Rolex is apparently very expensive to fix, for the Citizen, should I take it into a watch repair store or actually send it in to Citizen?
    I would send it in to Citizens repair shop, but you may want to ask over in the Seiko, Citizen, Orient forum and get thier input. Citizen Customer Service actually replies to threads over there sometimes. I know I am getting the right part and I don't have any compitent watchmakers around here, so that is what I would do.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Sell the Rolex, ditch the Insense, and use the money from the Lex sale to fix the Citizen crystal (send the watch to Citizen, don't take to a jeweler). Then again, maybe the Citizen doesn't strike your fancy, in which case I'd say sell it as well and use the sale funds from both watches to get yourself something you like.

Zepplinne,
    If you sell the rolex, you may regret it very much in the future, especially if it is of sentimental value.
    From what I have heard, Citizen Promaster crystal replacements are very expensive. Not too sure about an ordinary Eco-drive though..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information