Discontinued watches (why?)

Thread: Discontinued watches (why?)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Discontinued watches (why?)

Sorry if this has been asked before but i am wondering why do watch companies discontinue certain models of watches? Of course the limited editions will have to come to an end but why stop production if it isn't a limited/special edition but a popular model?

I have the CItizen Orca in mind as i type this. But this question applies to any other popular models that are discontinued. Just wondering if there is a standard economic reason across the board.

v76

Re: Discontinued watches (why?)

I think for a lot of brands (including many high-end ones), the current models follow fashion trends (like larger size dials), so model ranges are constantly upgraded with what is "trendy" and what is not is phased out. It could also be due to change in the top management (CEO, chief design head, etc.) where the individual wants to stamp their own design philosophy on the different watch lines. In other cases it could just be a perceived need for change, in some others a subtle shift to accommodate other (perhaps newly acquired?) companies in the case it is a large group. And lastly, it could be to maximize sales by bringing in designs more keeping with the current state of the economy. I may have missed a few others, there ...
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by niles316 View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before but i am wondering why do watch companies discontinue certain models of watches? Of course the limited editions will have to come to an end but why stop production if it isn't a limited/special edition but a popular model?

I have the CItizen Orca in mind as i type this. But this question applies to any other popular models that are discontinued. Just wondering if there is a standard economic reason across the board.
    It's just a strategy to keep some jobs inside the company, especially the R&D guys
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post
    It's just a strategy to keep some jobs inside the company, especially the R&D guys
    This is interesting and I honestly never thought of it. I wonder how true is that?

"Popular" is relative. What flies off the shelves for forum members might not appeal to the 99.9% "regular customers" out there who are not watch enthusiasts.
    Lots of dive watches.

Watches continually evolve - new technology and new tastes of consumers means there are always people looking for something new and interesting, so companies design and develop new watches to fit whatever perceived market they want to fill.

At the same time, a company can only produce so many different watches so some will have to be discontinued to make room for the newer models - the main signal I would expect to be the sales figures. So when Citizen discontinued the Orca, that was probably down to the market as a whole not buying them in the numbers Citizen would like, and whichever model replaces it on the production lines hopefully making more money for them.
    You have to remember that by reason of posting on this forum, we are not the general watch buying consumer... What can be popular or a trend places like here can be completely different to what any random person walking down the street wants in a watch.

maybe parts got more expensive, repair costs go up or just difficult to find pple to do the job.

also maybe due to the fact the company wants to sell the newer models.

or maybe these models are too durable and reliable
    "because nobody stops at one watch" - kohym
    http://kymwatchlog.blogspot.com/

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Don't think so much about it. It's not complicated at all.

If its sales are good, it stays, whether management likes it, or not, or if it is trendy, or "in style".

If its sales drop, it may be reworked in an attempt to bring it more in line with current trends to make it more popular.

If its sales drop below to an unacceptable level, it becomes discontinued. "Unacceptable" of course does depend on a number of things, how much a make-over will cost, what the increase in sales will result from a make-over will, how much the CEO likes the product line, etc....
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L. View Post
    "Popular" is relative. What flies off the shelves for forum members might not appeal to the 99.9% "regular customers" out there who are not watch enthusiasts.
    Hmm..how did i not see that? Guess i've been here so often that i forgot our tastes in watches could be very different from non-WIS. No wonder it didn't seem to make sense to me that Citizen discontinued a 'popular' model.

Because if companies would have stopped discontinuing products in the seventies, everyone would still look like this:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information