Discount on Brand New Releases?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Discount on Brand New Releases?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Discount on Brand New Releases?

I'm planning on purchasing the new Omega Seamaster Professional that *supposedly* is coming out within the next few months (Omega says August, AD's and other's say anywhere from now until December ).

I'm definitely set on buying from an Authorized Dealer. Not a boutique and not grey market. It's my first luxury watch purchase!

My question is if I can realistically get a discount from an AD for this purchase considering it's a BRAND NEW release? I'm asking here because I've read mixed things about this.

**As a preface I'm going to say that I'm not going to pre-order this watch. I want to be able to see it in person first and try it on before purchasing**

As far as discounts, some people say that Omega regularly discounts watches in AD's and I've been to an AD where they were discounting the current models that will be replaced by the new one - makes sense. This AD told me 20-25% off and that seems typical among claims I've read from other buyers.

On another thread here I read that someone pre-ordered the NEW Seamaster and put down a deposit and was able to get a 16% discount from their AD (sorry I forgot the name of the user).

As a first-time luxury watch buyer this is confusing to me. Logically I think many AD's will say since it's a brand new model they can't discount it at all (maybe years down the line).

Can you really get a discount on a brand new release and if so how to go about negotiating it?

I appreciate any help, insight or tips!

Re: Discount on Brand New Releases?

In general, I'd say it depends on your relationship with the dealer. If you've done business there before (and likely will again in the future), then yes, they'll give you some "price consideration". (Only the unwashed masses ask for a "discount". Gasp!)

Yeah, I think it will depend on the AD you talk to. Best thing to do is call a few and see what they tell you about pricing. I'd be surprised if you didn't receive some "pricing consideration," though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ya, your relationship with the dealer is the key to any "price consideration" on any desirable models. If they can't move an item, they would be willing to discount with any average joe.

How much of a discount (sorry, price consideration) you can negotiate depends on the AD and the watch model in question. Even if iy’s a popular watch you can usually negotiate a little something.

A smart AD will not discuss pricing over the phone, they will try to get you in by saying something like, "we are competitive".
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbutler13 View Post
    Yeah, I think it will depend on the AD you talk to. Best thing to do is call a few and see what they tell you about pricing. I'd be surprised if you didn't receive some "pricing consideration," though.

My experience has been that discounts in the 15-20% range are generally very easy to obtain. 25-30% is harder, but doable, for watches that are so-so sellers. These figures are for current models. I think they're achievable for most new releases, too, provided that you don't need to be the very first guy to own a particular watch. Exception is highly anticipated new releases, in short supply -- Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi dial, or the Sea Dweller red. And watches that seem to be in permanent short supply, like the Daytona. If it's not a limited edition, I think you should be able to get a decent price concession on the Omega. Some Omega authorized dealers (including some who sponsor on this site) do large online business. They know that if you call for a price, they have one opportunity to close a sale with you and generally will be pretty aggressive.

If you're willing to put down a sizable, nonrefundable deposit, and demand for the piece is moderate rather than "we need 3x the number we're getting!!!!" then it can make sense for the AD to give a discount in return for the instant turnaround.

Basically you have to look at it from the seller's perspective. What reason do they have to offer a discount...then, a step further, to offer *you* a discount?
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple.

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest

If you have no prior relationship with the AD expecting a 20-25% discount is unrealistic, especially on a popular new release watch. Temper your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    A smart AD will not discuss pricing over the phone, they will try to get you in by saying something like, "we are competitive".
    That's what I'm thinking, that even if I call multiple ADs that few if any are likely to tell me over the phone their pricing leniency. I guess it doesn't hurt to call and ask anyway though..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information