WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Diseased WIS has 24mm straps, needs a watch to go with them, and needs help!

1K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Vioviv 
#1 ·
Need some help please! Either your recommendations for a new watch, or the number of a good shrink in Southern California.

For reasons that don't matter, I have amassed six 24mm straps, in brown and black leather, navy cordura, and army green silicon. All quite nice.
Can anyone recommend a watch with dimensions of 42-43mm max diameter x max 52mm L2L watch with 24mm lugs so I can use these straps?
I can also handle 44mm-45mm diameter, but L2L would have to considerably more compact, no more than 48mm-49mm.
I'm looking for something multi-function, so automatic, mechanical or quartz is fine, and a chronograph, GMT/dual time/UTC, moon phase or calendar is preferred.
Recommendations for a three-hander/time-only watch are totally cool, especially if it has a small seconds sub-dial and a power reserve, but I would really prefer something w/complications.
No divers either please, since the majority of these straps are leather. Otherwise, dress, pilot, field, casual is fine; open to any kind of dial color/style/brand.
Gross budget is $600.00, so please let's keep MSRP at $1k and under if possible.
I realize this is a tough one. I spent an hour this weekend and came up with a Perrelet T-Class automatic at 42mm x 24mm lugs, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I do realize I'm displaying the symptoms of a truly diseased WIS, who is using an excess supply of straps to justify the purchase of a new watch, but I'm confident that I won't be judged here at WUS.

Thanks for any recommendations!

See less See more
Reactions: MikeCrunch
#3 ·
Off to a good start -- Magrette is a brand I've admired before, and Spinnaker I don't know much about. Thanks, I'll take a look!

#7 ·
I love Dan Henry! I'll check it out!

Hahaha! But nobody posted a picture of it!

Lum tec probably have the same lugs size

I've never had one,but do square B&R have wide lugs as well?
Lum Tec is another brand that I've admired from afar, especially since they're an Ohio based company. I read somewhere that Lum Tec's parent company assembles watches for Oak & Oscar as well.

Thanks guys for the input! I was really stumped but now I've got some good leads ...
If only that Invicta will come down to $600! Also, I gotta find this Invicta TV channel ...

#10 ·
They don't come up often used, but French made MAT watches are mostly on 24mm and quite interesting if you can find one.
Appreciate the ideas gents & I'll check them out.
Oddly, I've never owned a Citizen. I've owned plenty of Miyotas. And I've owned a couple of HMTs, which used a Miyota-clone mechanical movement, and was created as a partnership with Citizen in the 1950s.

MAT is entirely new to me. Love to have new brands to research!

Thanks!

Reactions: fire_lantern
#11 ·
Last night I spent a little time looking at the Stowa Klassik Sport flieger, in the 43mm size, which has 24mm lugs.
Oddly, I found very little about this particular model -- a couple of reviews from watch blogs, but very few member reports. Plenty of mentions of the Klassik 40. Well, a few mixed reports actually, which surprised me given the popularity of Stowa around here. I did read a member's rather alarming side-by-side comparison between a Tisell Pilot and the Stowa Klassik Sport 40. I mean, that was just one member's POV, but anyone who has owned a micro-brand understands that sometimes they compare very well to watches at 3x-4x the price.
I couldn't find any pre-owned Stowa Klassik Sport 43s, which is probably a good sign. Buying new from Stowa directly would be double my budget, at which point I'm wondering if it isn't easier to just sell those extra straps ... which is what a normal person would do I guess.
But forget common sense?
Any thoughts on the Stowa Klassic Sport would be appreciated!

#16 ·
Check out Magrette watches. Panerai inspired but I'd stop short of calling them homages (IMO they're not).
Very very cool watches, and remarkably affordable from what I'm seeing on the website.
Their engraved cases are really beautiful as well, but outside my budget range.
Definitely a contender.

#19 ·
There comes a time in every strap's life when it has to admit that it no longer has a home (mine live in a drawer in my bedroom) so consider just looking for a watch that you like and letting the 24mm straps retire.
Sigh .. ��
You are correct, of course. The idea that I need to buy a new watch because I have a few nice 24mm straps is absurd. What I need to do is keep selling watches and cull the strap herd, and stay focused on the next grail.
On the other hand ... that Stowa is cool, and Magrette makes some lovely watches ...
But ... but ...
I am leaning toward the rational course of action, which is continuing the sell-off. Maybe I'll stash my favorite 24mm strap and sell the rest.
Thanks for your input, Dr. Sticky.

#22 ·
I came very close to pulling the trigger on the gray 44mm 1970 ... but I backed off because I don't love wearing leather straps on divers ... but it's a great watch. I've had a couple of DHs, including the 40mm orange 1970, and they are a tremendous value.

Lum-Tec M80 (bead blasted finish)...24mm lugs...2824 regulated movement. This is an aftermarket strap. Listed price is $895.

The M81 is the same, but has a fine-brushed SS case ($875).
Looking very seriously at the M-series. They're some great looking watches, and I'd love to support LumTec as a brand ...
Thanks for the ideas and the pics!

Reactions: Sugman
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.