Display back VS Solid back

Thread: Display back VS Solid back

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi to all,

I have only worn a solid case back watch. Lots of companies are selling display backs and I must admit I think they look great. There has to be a gotcha! What are the pros and cons of a display back as it pertains to daily use. Your experiences on this matter are aprreciated.

Thank you,

Dave

Re: Display back VS Solid back

Dave I like them both...You should get a moderator to chnage this to the public watch forum...you'll get more responses.

Welcome Aboard!
    Hondo

Watches are my past "time"

Forgive me but I am not a fan of display back watches. I compare them to a display hood car - neither is my style. Just my humble two cents.
    Scott

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The back shows off the pendulum, some of the winding mechanisms, and the balance wheel, but not a great deal more from my understanding, unlike skeletonized models which will let you see a lot more of the working components -- thus once you get one or two exhibition back pieces, you don't feel pressed to make sure all of your pieces have one.

I don't know of any drawbacks, really... It is handy to check if the watch is running if you don't have a second hand, without having to put the piece to your ear. It's also easier to see if it is nearly fully wound, as you can see how freely the pendulum weight swings.

I prefer a display back if the company put alot of work into the movement. It not a requirement, but does look good on a dress watch. there is no advantage to having one.imo

I like both, I don't own a watch with a display back but would have no hesitation in buying one with it, I like it, it's a nice feature but not a requirement as most of the time you can't see it!

Unless of course you've got a display wrist......

stuffler,mike

I like display backs if the movement is worth to be "exhibited". Some examples:
    Glashütte Original cal. 39, cal. 100, A. Lange & Söhne, Stowa (Marine Original, Flieger Original). Don't need a display back for any regular ETA 2824-2 though.

Are there any drawbacks to having a display-back on a diver? Would the extra seal cause any issues as far as water-tightness goes?

I've read posts folks want to add a display-back to, say, a Monster, and are generally advised against doing so. The reasons for this aren't usually to clear (no pun intended). My Invicta 8926 has a display-back, and I never experienced any sort of issue.

Is it the difference between "factory installed" and "user installed"?

Cheers!
    Bill
    All who wander are not lost ...
    Be a traveler, not a tourist.

A traveler doesn't know where he's going,
    a tourist doesn't know where he's been.

IMHO display backs are for your own enjoyment. After all, no one can see it if you're wearing the watch. I don't have any really expensive movements in my watches yet, but I love watching the display backs of even the cheap handwind/auto's in my collection.

I got into this whole watch thing because i love the intricacies of the mechanical gears, springs, wheels, etc. That's why I like watching them every once in a while. Easier to do that if you don't have to crack open the caseback.

One of the disadvantages I know of for a fact is the watch is more prone to magnetism, which is why sinn (for the most part) doesnt use them. Mainly used for dress watches, but not really used for dive watches (the case can be rated for a higher depth rating with a solid back).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information