Diver on a budget
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Diver on a budget

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Diver on a budget

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests - I have for a while toyed with the idea of expanding my small collection, which currently includes an Omega De Ville, a Citizen Eco Drive and a G-Shock. Like many, although most of my encounters with water occur in my bathtub at home, I am seduced by the idea of a diver watch, but at the moment I don't want to splash out on an Omega Planet Ocean or Rolex Submariner, so I am looking for a watch that would satisfy my vanity without breaking the bank - let's say up to £800/$1000. I have been looking for a while at this Mido Ocean Star M026.430.44.061.00 | Mido - it's a bit of a Planet Ocean tribute in my opinion, but it looks good, has a good power reserve and good reviews, what do you guys think about it? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: Diver on a budget

I do like that Mido. It keeps popping up here and there for me and each time I think, "man, that's a good looking diver." I think you're good to go.
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger

I like the Chris ward divers, the trident?
    JimWharton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you're going for robust and cheap for a diver seiko skx line or orient ray or mako are great alternatives as well. In house automatic movements and quality for 200 bucks or less.
    Mouse_at_Large and Sebast975 like this.

There is that exact model Mido for sale on the forums right now for 500. I have no experience with that brand or model, so I can’t give any insight into that one.

If you want new, and willing to go grey market, you could get an Oris Aquis for around 1000 for some models on rubber, or save a few hundred more for the bracelet (that’s what I would do... but I’m a bracelet guy). Oris does do an excellent bracelet.

Another option is Steinhart. Great bang for your buck, under budget brand new. They do have a lot of homages, but also have the Ocean 500 Titanium (I own one of those) and highly recommend it. The lume is amazing, as well just about everything about the watch.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Enrico81 View Post
    Hello everyone,

As the title suggests - I have for a while toyed with the idea of expanding my small collection, which currently includes an Omega De Ville, a Citizen Eco Drive and a G-Shock. Like many, although most of my encounters with water occur in my bathtub at home, I am seduced by the idea of a diver watch, but at the moment I don't want to splash out on an Omega Planet Ocean or Rolex Submariner, so I am looking for a watch that would satisfy my vanity without breaking the bank - let's say up to £800/$1000. I have been looking for a while at this Mido Ocean Star M026.430.44.061.00 | Mido - it's a bit of a Planet Ocean tribute in my opinion, but it looks good, has a good power reserve and good reviews, what do you guys think about it? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
    It's alright, but definitely not my favorite in the affordable diver class. I think day-dates on divers are totally unnecessary, and I don't like the idea of giving up 28K BPH for a bunch of extra power reserve that I won't use. The ~40hrs of an ETA/Sellita or Miyota 9015 are more than enough IMO. Some other options at around that price: Raven Venture, Eza Sealander, Squale 1521, various NTH watches, Christopher Ward Trident C60 and C65, Zodiac Sea Wolf (GM) JeanRichard Aquascope (Ashford).

ethan9m likes this.

Nivrel - Deep Ocean Black, N 145.001. CASDB

Used Oris 65

Member Horological-psychologist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Davekaye90 View Post
    It's alright, but definitely not my favorite in the affordable diver class. I think day-dates on divers are totally unnecessary, and I don't like the idea of giving up 28K BPH for a bunch of extra power reserve that I won't use. The ~40hrs of an ETA/Sellita or Miyota 9015 are more than enough IMO. Some other options at around that price: Raven Venture, Eza Sealander, Squale 1521, various NTH watches, Christopher Ward Trident C60 and C65, Zodiac Sea Wolf (GM) JeanRichard Aquascope (Ashford).

Oh come on!!!

I need another watch like I need a hole on the left side of my head and here comes this "suggestion".

Hi-Yaaaaah!!!
    Sir-Guy, slcbbrown and phsan007 like this.
    "The most dangerous thing in the world is an IGNORANT with INITIATIVE."
    Luis Muñoz Marín

Have you seen the Helson Skindivers? The bronze is very tempting.

https://helsonwatches.com/shop.php#!...=0&sort=normal

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
    Sebast975 likes this.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information