Diver under $300 NOT made in Japan/China?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Diver under $300 NOT made in Japan/China?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Diver under $300 NOT made in Japan/China?

After 1.5 years with my Vostok Scubaman, I'm ready to try a new daily timepiece. Preferably under $300, definitely with automatic movement and rotating bezel, preferably made outside China/Japan.

I've read a lot of the guides and advice, but it all seems to come back to Seiko or a bunch of Chinese knockoffs (or originals). I have nothing against the Far East, but since all my electronics are manufactured there, a Chinese watch will feel more "commodity" than "special."

Advice for me? In my price range, what's a bit more exotic? (The Scubaman with NATO strap is about the right size - I don't have a huge forearm.)

Thanks.

Sav

Re: Diver under $300 NOT made in Japan/China?

Check out Obris Morgan and borealis. The latter is a little over your budget but not by much.

I have nothing against the Far East, but since all my electronics are manufactured there, a Chinese watch will feel more "commodity" than "special."
    A sub-$300 watch is definitely a commodity, no matter where you get it from.

Seiko divers are a remarkable value (a Seiko SRP "monster" can be had for under $200, probably the best diver you could find in that range), but if you really want to skip over them your best bet is probably to look for Swiss used watches that would cost $500 to $1000 new. You can get some amazing deals on buy/sell boards like the one at WUS. Way too many of the regulars here "flip" watches regularly to satisfy their desperate, incessant need for new toys, so a lot of nice watches are sold for meaningfully below their new price without a mark on them.
    yankeexpress, tomead and Wish like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Don't know where these are made....don't care.....doesn't matter anyhow....great watches....

makara - WatchRecon - The Most Intelligent Search Engine for Private Watch Sales
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

G. Gerlach has some divers under $300, made in Poland

dduck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hmtpilot View Post
    After 1.5 years with my Vostok Scubaman, I'm ready to try a new daily timepiece. Preferably under $300, definitely with automatic movement and rotating bezel, preferably made outside China/Japan.

I've read a lot of the guides and advice, but it all seems to come back to Seiko or a bunch of Chinese knockoffs (or originals). I have nothing against the Far East, but since all my electronics are manufactured there, a Chinese watch will feel more "commodity" than "special."

Advice for me? In my price range, what's a bit more exotic? (The Scubaman with NATO strap is about the right size - I don't have a huge forearm.)

Thanks.
    FWIW Obris Morgan uses a Miyota movement made by Citizen of Japan. Just about every watch made today that is priced under $10k is manufactured in large numbers on a production line. If you arranged one years production of Rolex Submariners in rows together it would be a sea of sameness. And very commodified.

Because moderately priced watches are frequently assembled from parts that come from many different countries you will have to decide which countries you want the parts to come from. For example is Brazil ok? I ask because Orient Watch of Japan manufactures some of of their watches there. And many pricier swiss watch brands have cases or bracelets sourced from asia. Finding a moderately priced watch that does not have some parts from China, Japan, Taiwan, India, etc., is going to be very difficult. You really need to give your requirements some more thought.
    Last edited by John MS; October 26th, 2014 at 07:03.
    brandon\ and Veda like this.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    FWIW Obris Morgan uses a Miyota movement made by Citizen of Japan. Just about every watch made today that is priced under $10k is manufactured in large numbers on a production line. If you arranged one years production of Rolex Submariners in rows together it would be a sea of sameness. And very commodified.

Because moderately priced watches are frequently assembled from parts that come from many different countries you will have to decide which countries you want the parts to come from. For example is Brazil ok? I ask because Orient Watch of Japan manufactures some of of their watches there. And many pricier swiss watch brands have cases or bracelets sourced from asia. Finding a moderately priced watch that does not have some parts from China, Japan, Taiwan, India, etc., is going to be very difficult. You really need to give your requirements some more thought.
    Gerlach also uses Asian movements, although I think he modifies them slightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro66 View Post
    Gerlach also uses Asian movements, although I think he modifies them slightly.
    Yes, I saw Seiko and Sea Gull mentioned. And no discussion of where the cases and bracelets are from. So they don't sound very Polish.
    Last edited by John MS; October 26th, 2014 at 07:16.

I don't know that there would be any watch under $300 that wouldn't be made wholly or substantially from Chinese and/or Japanese components.

This Candino is sold in Europe mostly, sometimes goes on sale for $300:

Totoro66 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information