DIY watch servicing/maintenance?

Thread: DIY watch servicing/maintenance?

DIY watch servicing/maintenance?

So I'm very much a learn-how-to-do-it myself kind of guy. I love learning how to do new things especially if I can save some money in the process. Now I know that watchmakers and watchsmiths have years and years of experience that can't be taught in a few days or weeks, and I know that I would not be able to replicate their level of expertise. That being said, I'd like to learn to do some small watch servicing and repair. Case-in-point: I've got an Oris TT1 Ti Diver that I paid $570 for, lightly used. Oris wants $300+ for servicing, and my local guy wants $265. Now this may be a reasonable price, but paying 2/3 of what I paid for the watch, just to have it serviced seems unwise. However, if I can do it myself for much less, and in the process learn something about watches, I'm all about it. So, I'm looking for some online materials or resources that will show me how to re-oil, replace gaskets, and clean the movement of automatic watches. Any help would be appreciated. Specifically, the ETA 2824. Thanks!

Re: DIY watch servicing/maintenance?

Try searching for "timezone watch school". They offer three courses (at $75 per course) but they're not really going to turn you into a watchmaker. The AWCI has information but that skews to the professional. You may want to post this in the watchmaking forum on this site to see what they've got to say.

Thanks for the info. I might post this over there to see what they say. Thanks again!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You will ruin the first few watches that you try is with...seriously. Buy some cheap "4u2fix" watches and practice taking them apart and putting them back together. Don't try to perform a service on your Oris until you are very comfortable with what you are doing...and even then if the watch is worth anything to you have a watchmaker do it.

Servicing your watches is easier said than done...you need the right tools and a huge learning curve.

Trying to fix a watch without knowing what you are doing is like DIY brain surgery. Good luck.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I do a little bit what my watches - just battery changes etc.. on my cheap quartz, and I've installed hands etc.. and the occasional tinkering with my movements.
    However, on my expensive pieces, I leave that to a professional. They are qualified suitably.

Also, to get a better grip on movements etc.. read 'George Daniels Watchmaking' - that'll give you a different view on what is on your wrist.

cheers,
    Jake.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

Quote Originally Posted by Homesicktexan View Post
    So I'm very much a learn-how-to-do-it myself kind of guy. I love learning how to do new things especially if I can save some money in the process. Now I know that watchmakers and watchsmiths have years and years of experience that can't be taught in a few days or weeks, and I know that I would not be able to replicate their level of expertise. That being said, I'd like to learn to do some small watch servicing and repair. Case-in-point: I've got an Oris TT1 Ti Diver that I paid $570 for, lightly used. Oris wants $300+ for servicing, and my local guy wants $265. Now this may be a reasonable price, but paying 2/3 of what I paid for the watch, just to have it serviced seems unwise. However, if I can do it myself for much less, and in the process learn something about watches, I'm all about it. So, I'm looking for some online materials or resources that will show me how to re-oil, replace gaskets, and clean the movement of automatic watches. Any help would be appreciated. Specifically, the ETA 2824. Thanks!
    To do the kind of work that Oris or a good local repair shop charges $300+- for you will need the following: Ability to work on a very small mechanism made of numerous very small parts. Ability to completely disassemble, clean, reoil and retime a movement. Purchase a good set of watch repairmans tools. Cleaning and timing machines are found in every watch repair shop, but you can probably get away without them. The three TZ courses will get you started in the right direction. At the end of three courses you will have some of the basics but won't really have the breadth of knowlege to deal with the inevitable odd problems that crop up. After TZ school practice on some inexpensive watches before taking on the Oris. Best of luck - several others have taken the course with good results.

Thread Information