DLC Coating...not sure what to do with this info.

Thread: DLC Coating...not sure what to do with this info.

DLC Coating...not sure what to do with this info.

So as I said I'm not sure what to do with this info. I contacted a company with interest in getting a watch DLC coated. They took me to be a watch company and offered to DLC my first samples for 1/2 price. Expecting it to be stupidly expensive, I played along.

Here is the response that I just got:

DLC is one of the carbon coatings that are made in a vacuum chamber in a plasma. My DLC is low temperature (below 150C) coating (actually, this is growing amorphous crystal).
    The process require some manipulation (rotation in 2 or 3 axial) in carbon plasma to provide identical coating to achieve certain characteristics.
    This is not galvanic-like process where the position of items doesn't make sense.
    Obviously, I can coat bracelets assembled, but it will not probably provide coatings in hidden areas.
    If you want to satisfy your customers, the job has to be done properly.
    To be profitable I have to load to a chamber 50-100 sets of watches and bracelets with a price of at least $5-8 dollars per watch and 10-15 per bracelet.

Think we could get 50-100 of the same watch together for a run? Are there sponsors who might be interested? I'm not sure what to do with the info, but for $20/watch, that seems amazing!

I may see if I can get 3-4 together to do a 'test run' though I do feel slightly duplicitous posing as a company rep right now. I don't want to mess with this guy's business, especially in times like these.

What are everyone's thoughts?
    Chris
    Glashutte Original Panomaticluna XL, Doxa Sharkhunter GMT, Seiko Monster Mod, Dwatch, Longines Legend Diver, Hamilton Maestro, Vostok Expedition, Volmax Aviator Flying Tank, Vostok Lunokhod, Custom PAM Homage, Nixon Mahogany Rotolog, St Mortiz Storm Chronograph

Metropolitan Detroit (Or is it South Florida again?)

Re: DLC Coating...not sure what to do with this info.

He wants 50-100. You're talking 3-4 for a "test run"? Under false pretenses? Doesn't matter that you never said you were a company looking to include him in a manufacturing process IMHO. You understood his intent. If you've perceived him to misunderstand you, it is incumbent upon you to clear any misunderstanding prior to continuing.

If he does not wish to do individual pieces for private owners, you'll only harm him and yourself in the process by continuing a charade. There ARE places you can get individual small items DLC coated. In the firearms industry, DLC is one of the up and coming popular finishes for customized pieces. And yes, it's going to cost a whole lot more than $20 per watch (as it would with only 3-4).
    Regards, T Bone.

DOXA Forum and Sales Corner Moderator

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by cp_ste.croix View Post
    So as I said I'm not sure what to do with this info. I contacted a company with interest in getting a watch DLC coated. They took me to be a watch company and offered to DLC my first samples for 1/2 price. Expecting it to be stupidly expensive, I played along.

Here is the response that I just got:

DLC is one of the carbon coatings that are made in a vacuum chamber in a plasma. My DLC is low temperature (below 150C) coating (actually, this is growing amorphous crystal).
    The process require some manipulation (rotation in 2 or 3 axial) in carbon plasma to provide identical coating to achieve certain characteristics.
    This is not galvanic-like process where the position of items doesn't make sense.
    Obviously, I can coat bracelets assembled, but it will not probably provide coatings in hidden areas.
    If you want to satisfy your customers, the job has to be done properly.
    To be profitable I have to load to a chamber 50-100 sets of watches and bracelets with a price of at least $5-8 dollars per watch and 10-15 per bracelet.

Think we could get 50-100 of the same watch together for a run? Are there sponsors who might be interested? I'm not sure what to do with the info, but for $20/watch, that seems amazing!

I may see if I can get 3-4 together to do a 'test run' though I do feel slightly duplicitous posing as a company rep right now. I don't want to mess with this guy's business, especially in times like these.

What are everyone's thoughts?
    Tell him the truth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Don't mess with Karma.

yeah, I wasn't looking for answers to a moral quandry, as, after typing it, I had decided to put temtation aside and tell him the truth.

More or less I was wondering if this info might be either useful to the forum or to any of the people on here who make watches. That's all. I'm not interested in jerking people around.
    Chris
    Glashutte Original Panomaticluna XL, Doxa Sharkhunter GMT, Seiko Monster Mod, Dwatch, Longines Legend Diver, Hamilton Maestro, Vostok Expedition, Volmax Aviator Flying Tank, Vostok Lunokhod, Custom PAM Homage, Nixon Mahogany Rotolog, St Mortiz Storm Chronograph

Banned

I read the initial post, and I am quite amazed about the low temperature needed, also by the "insufficient" coverage.
    I always thought the DLC technique was better/more advanced than that!
    Even the oldfashioned powder coating covers all surfaces?

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Even powder or paint coating will "shadow" in corners and other tight places. DLC, and many of your PVD-type coatings will do the same without rotation on several axis.

If the company has never done a watch case, they will probably have to make some specialized holders to grip the cases and rotate them. This will not be a minor expense.

As you can see, though, the actual cost of DLCing a case or bracelet is minor (if done in volume.)

I guess in my ignorance I believed that the DLC process was way more expensive...as such I got excited to share my news. Oh well. Anyone have 49 watches they want DLC'd??? lol.

It's neat though, on the company website you can have a pink colour, blue, gray/black, even a gold colour.
    Chris

V8

That temp is about right, decorative PVD applies around 400 degrees F, and 150 C is 302 degrees F.

Tooling PVD is around 1,000 F which is a real tough coating, unlike the decorative PVD, which as we all know doesn't hold up well.

As lysanderxiii said, the savings is in the volume, if a watch company paid $20 to do a watch and bracelet the invoice could be for $20,000 or more depending on the number of watches done.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

Leave the small business guy alone, not like he is big corporate. Karma is a @*^&[email protected]#^%@$...
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

Thread Information