to DLC, or not to DLC..?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: to DLC, or not to DLC..?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

to DLC, or not to DLC..?

One of the watches on my ever-shifting shortlist is a DLC version of a dive watch that is offered in more conventional brushed steel finish as well. I do like the DLC but wonder if the look will stand the test of time ( pun intended, I guess ) and still be appealing in 10 years or so. What does the WIS crowd think of DLC in general?

Re: to DLC, or not to DLC..?

That's the idea of surface hardening, to stand the test of time.

It is possible to scratch surface hardened steel or titanium, but a lot less likely than regular steel or titanium.

DLC is okay in my book. I think every collection should have one.
    Regards,

Richard

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not a fan, I don't like any sort of plating or coating, since it'll eventually wear through.
    Citizen V and Janne like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I had two watches with PVD coating and both showed noticeable wear on the bracelet. While DLC is a form of PVD it should be much harder than normal PVD.

Personally, I would not go for DLC. It is easy to scratch, may look tacky when scratched, is not as serious looking as stainless (is more a young person style in my view), and may prove to be something of a fad a few years from now.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

any "coating" will wear away...
    the toughest I have found is the diashield coating on a titanium seiko, but it is a clear coating
    DLC is tougher than PVD but it is still diamond-like. And Black shows everything.

Stainless for me.
    Steve

Waiting Lounge: none

I had a Steinhart Triton 100 DLC and never had any issues. It still looked brand new after 1.5 years of consistent wear. Overall though I prefer SS.

*edit it was on rubber so I can't say how a DLC band would wear.
    Last edited by divided; February 16th, 2013 at 08:16.

My concern with DLC is longevity. Longevity in terms of both style and simple durability. The DLC "blackout" look has been in style for a few years, and it could potentially remain in style for a while, but there's no guarantee of it. A few years down the road, it may very well look completely dated and tacky. Plain steel, on the other hand, has been around for a while.

In terms of durability, it may be true that DLC is more resistant to scratching than ordinary steel. But ordinary steel can easily be refinished to look brand new. As far as I know, there is no feasible way to restore a DLC watch when the DLC gets scratched or worn. Plus the high contrast between the DLC and the underlying steel will make scratches and scuffs very visible.

If you tend to buy things and slip them fairly quickly, or if you're just looking for something fun, there's nothing wrong with a DLC watch. If you're the kind of WIS who's searching for your "one" watch, the kind of thing you plan on keeping around for a long time, I think regular stainless is probably the safer choice.
    Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

DLC itself is a coating. It can potentially wear off subject to prolonged tough treatment, unlike anything most watch case experience. DLC can be reapplied to cutting surfaces of industrial machines when worn off.

If DLC is combined with a surface matrix treatment (chemically altering the structure of the actual metal) such as Diashield of Seiko, Duratect of Citizen or Titanium Carbide of Oceanus, it'll be extremely hard to scratch and very durable.

Unfortunately there's no standard. Application quality varies. A quick search and few PMs will get you the information you need about a specific watch.

All Oceanus watches are TIC treated Titanium by default. I searched and PM'ed owners before purchasing mine. I found out that all have been extremely happy.
    Last edited by dilal; February 16th, 2013 at 19:07.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information