Do ETA movements tend to slow down in the first few weeks or months of ownership?

Thread: Do ETA movements tend to slow down in the first few weeks or months of ownership?

Do ETA movements tend to slow down in the first few weeks or months of ownership?

Hi, I have a few watches with ETA movements whose timekeeping seems to have slowed down a bit since I bought them several months ago. Both were about two seconds fast per day, now they're about one second slow.

Has anyone else noticed this with their ETA-based watches?

I'm wondering if this is coincidence/random chance or if there is something inherent in the design that would cause this to happen. I do remember one forum member noting that regulated movements (e.g., ETA) have this tendency while free sprung movements (e.g., Rolex) do not ... but I lack the technical knowledge to confirm this.

Thanks.
    John

Re: Do ETA movements tend to slow down in the first few weeks or months of ownership?

I believe the wear in effect occurs on both movements, regulated, free sprung, or regulated with variable inertia/regulated. I've observed it on free sprung Omega 8500 (my only free sprung movement) and my many regulated ones. I have also noticed that wear-in isn't really a product of a new watch, but the product of a watch that hasn't been worn for a long time.

But wear-in is the subject of a lot of controversy. Some people say it doesn't exist.

Like yourself, I've seen it too many times to deny it.

As per your ETA-based watches, experiment with dial up or dial down positions at night (or when not worn) to get them running positively again.

Re: Do ETA movements tend to slow down in the first few weeks or months of ownership?

I cannot think of a thing within ETA or other mechanical movements that would cause them to change accuracy in the short term. There are of course many external variables that can alter the accuracy and I suspect that is what you are seeing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Both were about two seconds fast per day, now they're about one second slow.

Has anyone else noticed this with their ETA-based watches?
    Yes, I have and it's annoying. Overnight positional rest helps cancel it out but two new ones have slowed. I had gotten +.35 sec/day, now getting almost -2 on one after several months.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I cannot think of a thing within ETA or other mechanical movements that would cause them to change accuracy in the short term. There are of course many external variables that can alter the accuracy and I suspect that is what you are seeing.
    I agree. Temperature and positional variation being the main "external variables" affecting rate.

HTH
    "So?"
    -Andrew Breitbart 1969-2012

Thread Information