Do I have a right to be upset?

Thread: Do I have a right to be upset?

Do I have a right to be upset?

I purchased a watch from a manufacturer in Switzerland on December 17th. I called to check on it on Jan 12th and they emailed me that my order wasn't paid for. So I forwarded them a receipt and they said that the order had been misplaced. So their solution is to send it the next time they ship to the US which is Friday, the 16th and I might get it by Wed., the 21st. Now I realize that there was a holiday break in the middle of all this, but is it reasonable to wait over a month for a watch? In light of their mistake, couldn't they have maybe shipped the watch on Monday or Tuesday when they realized their mistake? I started to cancel the order, but I don't want to be that guy. Now I'm afraid that when (if) the watch arrives, I won't like it due to the hassle it represents. So I've gone from anticipation to dread.

Am I being overly sensitive? Do these kinds of things happen when dealing with European watch manufacturers and I should get over it? I'm not used to spending $1900 on a watch so maybe I expect more customer service to come with a higher price tag but it feels a lot like "we made a mistake but so what, get a different watch if you don't like it".

I haven't mentioned the manufacturer because I'm not looking to air out anyone's dirty laundry in public. I guess I'm hoping that this is a common experience when dealing with high-end watch manufacturers so that I can feel like less of a putz.

Thanks, I welcome any feedback.

Re: Do I have a right to be upset?

I think you've got the right to be frustrated, and through that the right to vent. I think you have the right to demand that your watch be delivered in a timely manner as most websites give guarantees as to when purchased items will be shipped out by.

I'd be upset if I were in your shoes, but at the end of it all, if you get your watch, just chaulk it up to difficulty working with an overseas company?

Thats no excuse, but sometimes that's just how it is. I hope you do get the watch, and works out to be keeper for you. Please let us know how this one works out! If they make everything right, or if they don't, in my opinion, real-world Customer service examples are a great way to judge a company's worth.

I respect the fact that you've kept the manufacturer private, but I'm curious who it is, cuz there are a few Euro-dealers that i'd like to buy direct from. PM me if you don't mind?
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Oris Williams F1 Chronograph
    Citizen Meccanico NP3010-34A
    Citizen Aqualand 20th Aniv. Eco-Drive
    G-Shock G2300B-1V
    Luminox 3001

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It seems to me that there was a clerical error and they shipped it out within a few days of you checking in (you wrote them on the 12th, they ship on the 16th). That seems reasonable to me. The delay between the 17th and the 12th was due to you waiting that long to contact them, and they cannot really be responsible for that.

It does seem odd they only ship on Fridays - if you've paid for it and they have the order on hand, given the clerical error, a "goodwill gesture" would be to overnight the package to you as soon as possible.
    Lots of dive watches.

I haven't heard anything that should leave a bad taste in my mouth. It sounds like you are dealing with someone that ships to the US at particular times only. Once upon a time getting anything shipped took 6 to 8 weeks. I'm always amazed at how fast things happen these days.
    Rolex Yacht-Master SS/Platinum
    Frederique Constant Chrono
    Sinn 356
    Debaufre Ocean 1 39mm

1963 Chinese Airforce 21 zuan :(bummer):

HMT Pilot Black Dial
    HMT Pilot White Dial
    Hamilton Khaki Field hand wind :)

Id say its annoying, and leave it at that. They made a mistake but you shouldnt let it kill your joy. Just be a little bit more patient and all should be well. If they F it up again, then you can be mad.

Thanks for all of the replies. I think Eric hit the nail on the head. The issue isn't so much the delay as the lack of goodwill, which has been conspicuously absent. I going to try to enjoy this watch and cancel my plan to buy another watch from this company. There are plenty of watches to choose from out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric L. View Post
    It seems to me that there was a clerical error and they shipped it out within a few days of you checking in (you wrote them on the 12th, they ship on the 16th). That seems reasonable to me. The delay between the 17th and the 12th was due to you waiting that long to contact them, and they cannot really be responsible for that.

It does seem odd they only ship on Fridays - if you've paid for it and they have the order on hand, given the clerical error, a "goodwill gesture" would be to overnight the package to you as soon as possible.

If the watch was in stock when you ordered it, you should have had it in 3-5 days from anywhere in the world. All under normal circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Opentoe View Post
    If the watch was in stock when you ordered it, you should have had it in 3-5 days from anywhere in the world. All under normal circumstances.
    +1

Esp. at the price of the watch in question. Customer support/QC should be much better for an item in this price range, IMO.
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Oris Williams F1 Chronograph
    Citizen Meccanico NP3010-34A
    Citizen Aqualand 20th Aniv. Eco-Drive
    G-Shock G2300B-1V
    Luminox 3001

Thread Information