Do I take my "Luxury" Watch to Europe?
Like Tree220Likes

Thread: Do I take my "Luxury" Watch to Europe?

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Do I take my "Luxury" Watch to Europe?

I know this question comes up a lot, but during my research I could only find threads that were 5 years or older. Sorry for the repetitive questions:

1. I'm from USA.. and going to different countries in Europe. Mainly tourist spots.. Do I take my nicer watches or do you recommend me taking my beaters? A part of me wants to make memories with my nicer watches on this trip, but another part says... don't risk it.

2. Is it cheaper to buy a watch in Paris or Rome with VAT Refunds than the states?

Just trying to find some feedback, thanks.
    fskywalker likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Do I take my "Luxury" Watch to Europe?

1. Travel with whatever watch floats your boat.
    2. Buy in the US. Rome and Paeis aren‘t places for bargain buys.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

What are you risking? I assume you're going to the same types of places in Europe that you'd visit in the US, so where is the increased risk? I bought my watches to enjoy so I wear them wherever I go. I also take 2-3 with me as I like variety. Again, I don't see the increased risk. YMMV.

edit - Oh, and I'll yield to Mike about buying in Europe. I'm sure he has much more experience than I do on the subject. However, buying a watch on a trip like this is cool and I'd consider paying a bit of a premium over the typical online price just to have a watch with a built-in memory.
    Jale, brandon\, ihutch1942 and 7 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd take one watch of any variety, not multiples, just make sure it stays on the wrist. I've had 2 stolen from my luggage in a supposedly safe environment, so I am super conservative on this issue.
    Jale, OedipusFlex, Radharc and 7 others like this.

Went to Europe and never once felt unsafe or at risk. Wore a Tudor Heritage Chrono the entire time. Wear what you want.
    Jale and fskywalker like this.

Millions of people live in Europe and wear "luxury" watches every day. Do you really think it is not as safe as you home country?
    Jale, brandon\, natesen and 13 others like this.

I just returned from a trip to EU with a group of people, and one of my friends was wearing his Rolex (his everyday watch). We never felt unsafe in any way, but I'd guess it depends on the specific places you are planning to visit. Same common sense rules apply as with carrying your wallet, rings, etc. Also, passing through any airport security, I put my watch in the carry-on and put a small combination lock on it to make sure that it's not as easy to get in if I'm pulled aside

Depends where you are going. If you are going to stay in an 8 bed dorm in napels, probably not bring your diamond encrusted envicta. Cruise around the prostitue highway in slovakia; just wear a seiko. Space out in amsterdam on wheed and xtc; forget about a watch. Time will not mather anyway. . For the rest i assume same rules as in us apply.

I doubt watches wil be cheaper over here. But just do the math. Price- vat (19-21% in most countries) plus possible import duties is your us price.

So what memories do you aim to collect?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
    Jale, Synequano, Davidka and 3 others like this.
    SAFETY WARNING: Above writings are produced by an individual with mental health issues.

Europe and tourist locations is somewhat broad of a concept, but still we are most of the times civilized people over here.
    Should you take your watches to different states in the U.S. is the same the same type of a question you should ask yourself when it comes to taking watches to Europe.
    rfortson, Jale, brandon\ and 1 others like this.
    Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial
    Omega Speedmaster 3570.50
    Omega SMPc
    Limes Endurance 1000 GMT3

Thanks guys, this is the feedback I was looking for. I’m going to take my watch and enjoy even though the high tourist areas isn’t ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fskywalker likes this.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast