Do mechanical watches go through another "settling-in" period after being unused for a long time?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By usc1

Thread: Do mechanical watches go through another "settling-in" period after being unused for a long time?

Do mechanical watches go through another "settling-in" period after being unused for a long time?

I purchased a used watch (Seiko SKX007) a week ago and it's running 50+ seconds fast a day. Judging from the ad, I'm assuming the watch has been stuffed in a drawer or something for quite awhile. I would like to think the watch running this fast is the watch having to settle in again, but I'm not sure if that's how this works. Not to mention, over the last two days the watch seems to have gotten a few seconds faster, so it appears I'm going in the wrong direction.

Re: Do mechanical watches go through another "settling-in" period after being unused for a long time

I have no idea, but when I got my Seiko it hasn't run in over half a decade and it was never that off. I guess a watchmaker could just adjust it for you?

Re: Do mechanical watches go through another "settling-in" period after being unused for a long time

Your watch probably just needs a servicing (clean and lube). You might also have the watchmaker regulate it for you.
    cottontop
    "What's time to a hog?" Junior Samples

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
    I think they do, but at your actual rate (+50s/day) only a good local watch repairer could help.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by MattyB View Post
    I purchased a used watch (Seiko SKX007) a week ago and it's running 50+ seconds fast a day. Judging from the ad, I'm assuming the watch has been stuffed in a drawer or something for quite awhile. I would like to think the watch running this fast is the watch having to settle in again, but I'm not sure if that's how this works. Not to mention, over the last two days the watch seems to have gotten a few seconds faster, so it appears I'm going in the wrong direction.
    Watches don't settle in. It can take a few days to reach a fully wound state and the owner may be getting used to the watch as well, or "settling in". The watch may have been like that since new and you inherited the previous owners "problem". Or the oil may have thickened over time.
    However, lets give it a proper test to be sure the error rate is correct. Set the watch to a known time standard and just wear it for 5 days. Then recheck the time and divide the difference by 5. If it's off then it could be adjusted.

I would be inclined to think the watch has been magnetised , if it is running at that rate..
    In any rate, a good watchmaker should be able to sort it out for you.

cheers.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

^ I'd always assumed a watch being magnetized caused it to run much faster than +50 seconds a day. But I just tried the old compass trick anyway and, sure enough, my watch moved the needle by at least 60 degrees. Oddly though, I left the watch off for a few minutes (next to my Mac) and tried the compass again to double-check how much the needle moved, but now the watch doesn't affect the compass at all...

I am not sure if your problem is a settling in issue but watches DO take time to settle.

This question comes up time and time again. It is not a myth.

Jorg Schauer has stated in past threads that watches DO indeed go through a settling period.
    Last edited by usc1; June 29th, 2011 at 02:22.
    CCCP likes this.
    "It is the hour of pearl—the interval between day and night when time stops and examines itself."
    -j. steinbeck

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

a magnetized watch will be off around +50 seconds per hour......
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Thread Information