Do seiko supply better movement for its customer?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Do seiko supply better movement for its customer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do seiko supply better movement for its customer?

I bought two brand new seiko 5 watches before. Great looking but first one breaks down after I remove the movement for hands mod and it stop running for no reason. The second one keeps horrible time of 3min fast per day. I sold to another guy still with warranty left.

Then I decide to buy seiko superior diving series. Took the movement out for mod, great, no problem and keeps decent time of 30 seconds fast per day.

But all my invicta with seiko automatic movement outperform all my seiko watches. Bought a yellow grand diver and do mod of relume. The watch keeps superb time of 6 seconds fast. Recently, bought a invicta pro diver with seiko NH-35A and it keeps 3 second fast only after 2 days.

I know plenty of seiko supporter in WUS. But this is what I experience with seiko watches. I have no doubt for high end seiko but I am quite disappointed with seiko lower end automatic watches. And even more puzzle that cheaper invicta watches can do a better job with seiko supply movement. My experience with other Japanese watch maker like citizen are far better. No problem at all.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Re: Do seiko supply better movement for its customer?

I'm sure this will cause a huge dust up but I'm done with Seiko. I've had nothing but trouble with their movements. It won't happen again. BTW, this isn't a one off. I've owned 6 Seiko watches and have never been happy with the performance of their movements.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/ll[_\__\]
    l llL-_O|||||||O_
    ()_)()_)()_)

but first one breaks down after I remove the movement for hands mod and it stop running for no reason.
    I have no trouble believing that low-end Seiko movements are sometimes defective, although none of mine have had any problems. However, no movement "stops running for no reason." And, if you don't know enough about the movement to tell what was wrong with it, I can't help but wonder if you damaged it yourself when taking it out and modding it. The way you describe it, it sounds like it was running fine before you did the mod; it's hard to blame Seiko for the movement breaking after you started doing things to it.

The +3m watch, I kind of suspect got magnetized. Did you you check for that before you got rid of it?
    Last edited by Likestheshiny; July 8th, 2014 at 03:27.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    I have no trouble believing that low-end Seiko movements are sometimes defective, although none of mine have had any problems. However, no movement "stops running for no reason." And, if you don't know enough about the movement to tell what was wrong with it, I can't help but wonder if you damaged it yourself when taking it out and modding it. The way you describe it, it sounds like it was running fine before you did the mod; it's hard to blame Seiko for the movement breaking after you started doing things to it.

The +3m watch, I kind of suspect got magnetized. Did you you check for that before you got rid of it?
    Yes, it was running fine before I took it out for mod. I am careful with my mod. Things do happen but for this one, nothing happen. I just do it the same way with Miyota 8215. I am sure no magnetized happen. Even It do, it will most likely cause it to run very fast but not stopping it.

As for the second watch, it already run that fast on the very first day I bought it back. Quite disappoint with seiko QC.

I don't know what invicta do with the seiko movement. They are very robust and accurate for my experience. Even the old invicta with Miyota runs like a workhorse with great accuracy. But same as citizen one.
    Last edited by Triton9; July 8th, 2014 at 04:17.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Buying an inexpensive Seiko automatic is like playing roulette.
    ilitig8 likes this.

I can assure you that the Seiko's I bought weren't cheap. They weren't Spring drives but they weren't cheap,I won't buy another one.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/ll[_\__\]
    l llL-_O|||||||O_
    ()_)()_)()_)

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    Buying an inexpensive [insert any brand here] automatic is like playing roulette.
    Fixed that one for ya ;)

For the OP: I've had very good luck with Seiko 5 watches and I agree with the above sentiment that the watch you were modding probably had a very good reason to stop. Sorry you got a Seiko that ran fast but, as was stated above, it's possible that you exposed it to a magnet. If you like the quality of Invicta, buy them and wear them. Problem solved.
    Last edited by J.W.; July 8th, 2014 at 05:45.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon4311 View Post
    I can assure you that the Seiko's I bought weren't cheap. They weren't Spring drives but they weren't cheap,I won't buy another one.
    My response was to the OP, as he mentions the NH-35A (Seiko Instruments Inc. reference for the 4R35) which is a hacking/handwinding 7S36 - found in watches in the $200-300 mark. It's unfortunate that you've had bad experiences with Seiko calibres

Quote Originally Posted by Triton9 View Post
    I bought two brand new seiko 5 watches before. Great looking but first one breaks down after I remove the movement for hands mod and it stop running for no reason.
    "My car was working great until I removed the engine. When I put it back in, it wouldn't run any longer. CLEARLY the engine is defective!"

Sorry, but if it was working fine until you took it apart, that one's on you (that goes for basically anything in life, by the way.) The fact that you've done the same mod without incident in the past in no way ensures that you didn't screw something up this time.

Then I decide to buy seiko superior diving series. Took the movement out for mod, great, no problem and keeps decent time of 30 seconds fast per day.

But all my invicta with seiko automatic movement outperform all my seiko watches. Bought a yellow grand diver and do mod of relume. The watch keeps superb time of 6 seconds fast. Recently, bought a invicta pro diver with seiko NH-35A and it keeps 3 second fast only after 2 days.

I know plenty of seiko supporter in WUS. But this is what I experience with seiko watches. I have no doubt for high end seiko but I am quite disappointed with seiko lower end automatic watches. And even more puzzle that cheaper invicta watches can do a better job with seiko supply movement. My experience with other Japanese watch maker like citizen are far better. No problem at all.
    All I have to offer is anecdotal evidence to counter your anecdotal evidence I've never had the slightest problem with any Seiko watch, and the 7s26 movement in most of the Seiko 5 models has an excellent reputation for being durable and reliable, if not hyper-accurate (although my Seiko 5 SNK809 with the 7s26 is the second most accurate mechanical watch I own, at about 5 seconds a day. It also cost a whopping $45 new.)

Although I've never owned one, Invicta by contrast has the general reputation of breaking quickly and being impossible to get repaired. I'm more inclined to say you've gotten some very unusually accurate Invicta's, and some lower-end Seiko models with what is probably fairly average accuracy for movements in their price range. The one that was running really fast out of the box sounds like just bad luck (and possibly magnetized in shipping, which happens sometimes.) and the other two you got sound like they were working just fine (I don't think you can hold the one that was broken during modding against Seiko, as I'm sure they'll be happy to reinforce if you try to send it in for warranty service.)
    Last edited by gordon9999; July 8th, 2014 at 06:09.

Yes, it was running fine before I took it out for mod. I am careful with my mod. Things do happen but for this one, nothing happen.
    gordon9999 beat me to it, but... yes, something did happen. The movement did not spontaneously break out of magical coincidence when you took it out to mod it. Something broke the movement, and given the situation it's really, really hard to believe that the something wasn't you.
    As for the second watch, it already run that fast on the very first day I bought it back.
    Yes, but it might have been magnetized before you got it. It happens. You decided it was a write-off before you tried a free, ten-second fix. You didn't even bother checking the most obvious, likely problem before getting rid of the watch.

Again, I'm perfectly willing to accept that Seiko movements can be defective. It happens. But even your own version of events sure doesn't make it sound like your movements were actually defective. A watch running +3m is quite probably magnetized, which isn't Seiko's fault and is very easily fixed. A watch that works fine until you take out the movement and mod it, and then it breaks... is also probably not Seiko's fault.
    CitizenM likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information