Do Sponsorships and Brand Ambassadors Work?

Thread: Do Sponsorships and Brand Ambassadors Work?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Banned

Do Sponsorships and Brand Ambassadors Work?

Hi everybody! Have you ever ever bought a watch because the brand sponsors a famous sportsperson? Or because the brand sponsors a motorsports team, or even an entire sporting league?

What about 'brand ambassadors'? Have you ever bought a watch because there was a pic of some actor wearing it in a magazine? Or it was 'placed' in a movie or TV show?

The whole concept sounds daft to me, and it just wouldn't enter my mind when choosing a watch. But I figure it must work, because most brands are spending bucket loads doing it.

Ozy

Re: Do Sponsorships and Brand Ambassadors Work?

Well, we have to look toward history...

There's the Seiko that Arnie wore, there were the chunky digital watches in Alien... etc.

Its all about purpose, and appealing to peoples 'fantasy', I have searched the details and origin of a watch if placed in a movie scene...I havent bought any as a result, but it does help contribute to brand recognition.

Well advertising is hugely important to building brand recognition. And celebrities can be important in advertising.

So, I'm going to say that brand ambassadors would improve sales. It wouldn't be done unless it worked.

That said, I've never bought a watch because of an ambassador. Although, George Clooney might think I'm stalking him because I have a Nespresso machine and I just bought an Omega.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I haven't actually bought one for that reason but the Nicky Hayden Tissot would be nice to own. I do have a Dallas Cowboys Fossil that my wife gave me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ozy View Post
    There's the Seiko that Arnie wore, there were the chunky digital watches in Alien... etc.
    Busted! :oops:

I forgot about the Arnie. It is on my list, and I wouldn't be aware of it if it wasn't for Predator. And it wouldn't be as appealing if he hadn't worn it, for sure. So it works.

Interestingly, I have read that wasn't product placement, but Arnie just liked that watch. Weird, as he could easily have had a high end piece (and I'msure I can recall recentl pics of him rocking top $ watches). So maybe that is just [email protected] and he had a deal with Seiko .

Actually, I have also been interested in a Seiko advertised on a poster by Daniel Wu (Seiko ambassador), but it was because I liked that watch, rather than him being the model. If that makes sense. It could have been on the wrist of anyone, orr sitting in an ice bucket or whatever, I just liked the style.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
    The whole concept sounds daft to me, and it just wouldn't enter my mind when choosing a watch. But I figure it must work, because most brands are spending bucket loads doing it.
    It surely does work. Try this: go on the street and ask 100 regular Joes and Janes (alright, Mick and Sheilas for you Toby ) what they think are the best 3 watch brands. I'd bet a ton of cash that by the end the overwhelming names mentioned are Rolex, TAG, and Movado. You may get a few answers of Breitling and Cartier mixed in, but I doubt it would be enough to knock Rolex out of the top spot.

It works, although I think it's on an almost subconscious level. Most people probably wouldn't admit that they shop at Lowe's because Jimmy Johnson drives 400 miles every Sunday with their logo on his car, but sure enough Lowe's is willing to pay 30million a year to place it there. So are 42 other companies. Proof is in the pudding.

I wonder how many people first heard of Rolex through watching James Bond films? I guess if your interested in some product you know the players in the market, if you're not, seeing a favourite celebrity endorse a brand would probably make you more interested in that brand. One might also reckon that if celebrity X is prepared to put their good name behind a brand then it must have something.

This would hold more sway if said celebrity had credentials in that product area. (eg. Tiger Woods endorsing golf balls). Unforunately for the watch industry there are no celebrity watchmakers so they call on outsiders and we have Tiger endorsing TAG.

I didn't buy my TAG because Tiger said I should, but it does add credence to the brand that Tiger is prepared to put (what's left of) his reputation behind them. Just my $.02

I'm a sucker for marketing, but I won't buy an inferior product just because X person owns one.

I bought a number of computers with AMD processors back when they were still a sponsor of the Ferrari F1 team, but that was a case where there was no major cost or quality difference (that was noticeable for my usage anyway).

Most of the time celebrity endorsements aren't something that interest me, but I would kill for a Omega speedmaster schumacher legend,even the one with all the writing about race wins on the bezel.
    Buran Siberia (x2 black and white), Aviator Chrono II (poljot31681), Ferrari Jumbo Pit Crew,Alpha Jump Hour, MZI Skeleton, MKII Stingray,Elgin 18s,Agat stopwatch, Sturmanskie Sputnik,Raketa Pilot, Poljot Traveller,Tscheljabinsk military clock, Kirovskie Crab, Vostok Amphibia (tank dial), 3133 Strela replica, Alpha Jumphour Tank,Denissov Barracuda 31681,Laco B-Uhr type B, Stowa Antea KS

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cavallino33

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger View Post
    It works, although I think it's on an almost subconscious level. Most people probably wouldn't admit that they shop at Lowe's because Jimmy Johnson drives 400 miles every Sunday with their logo on his car, but sure enough Lowe's is willing to pay 30million a year to place it there. So are 42 other companies. Proof is in the pudding.
    Maybe subconsciously, but certainly not knowingly. I don't own a television and I have no idea who Jimmy Johnson is. I was at Lowe's yesterday however, but not necessarily by choice. Since most of the small, independent hardware stores have gone out of business, there's little choice...

Except for Omega, I couldn't tell you who the watch companies pay to wear their watches, could care less, and wish they wouldn't. Maybe then getting a watch serviced wouldn't cost so [email protected] much.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information