Do watch manufacturer's sell from factory?

Thread: Do watch manufacturer's sell from factory?

Do watch manufacturer's sell from factory?

Hello all,

We may be traveling to Europe in the next year or so and while there I definitely want to visit some watch manufacturers. My question - Does anyone know which if any of them have retail outlet or watch sales at their manufacturing facilities? And if so, are there price breaks? I understand the need to protect their respective dealer outlets or 'factory direct' locations (if there is such a thing there) but as we live in Canada it's not like I can go and visit these places anytime I want if I were to live within driving distance of the manufacturer's.
    I have a Baume & Mercier Capeland Auto Chrono and a Tissot PRC200 Auto Chrono and would like to visit them but some of the higher end watch manufacturers as well.

Any and all comments would be interesting and appreciated.

Re: Do watch manufacturer's sell from factory?

I don't think so...They pay more in Switzerland than we do in America (so I've read) but I don't know about Canada.
    Like a Japanese motorcycle costs more in Japan than the same bike in U.S.
    Last edited by little big feather; November 3rd, 2013 at 21:38.
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

Lots of factories are happy to show you around (Stowa welcome visitors on their facebook page), good to book in advance through. I'm sure they'll sell you a watch there but it will inevitably be the same price as from their online shop.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your response man, but I wouldn't know...that's why I was asking. I do know that when I factor in our infamous PST (Provincial Sales Tax) at 7%, our GST (Goods and Services Tax) at 5%, plus shipping, customs and brokerage fees, on a $2500 watch, that would be approx $287 for import and $68 on shipping fees.......that all adds up to approx. $2855.........I wonder what that same $2500 watch would cost me at a manufacturer's store in Switzerland? Hey geoffbot - what are your taxes like in the UK? How about in the US, anyone?

If you buy from EU to ship to US you can save the 20% vat and they don't impose duty tax either, so pretty sweet deal

Not all manufactures do.

AFAIK, the Minerva factory in Villeret which is owned by Montblanc do sell their time pieces fresh from the factory. Micro Artist Studio of Seiko Epson also sells their pieces from the factory. Not completely sure though.
    Last edited by entropy96; November 5th, 2013 at 06:48.
    Current Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay (on OEM bracelet) | Rado Original Automatic 648.0408.3.161 | Royal Orient WE0011JB | Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch 311.30.42.30.01.005 | Casio G-Shock GWF-1000-1DR

G-Shock collection:
    GW-M5630E-9JR, GA-400-4A, DW-6900SG, GW-5000-1JF, GWF-1000-1DR, GW-200Z-1DR, GW-9200-1, GX-56-1B, G-5600E, G-6900-1, DW-5600MS, G-7302RL (non-functioning)

Wishlist:
    Credor ​Eichi (when pigs fly) | Credor ​Eichi II (when fishes talk) | FP Journe Chronometre Bleu (acquired) | Urban Jurgensen & Sonner Ref. 3 (acquired) | D.Dornbluth & Sohn Cal. 99.5 (acquired) | Moritz Grossmann BENU Rose Gold ​(acquired)

**Sig limit reached...**

Thank you all for your comments.......much appreciated.

This is new to me. I have yet travelled to Europe. Probably will visit the factory when I decide to go Europe the next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good question as we all know Jewelers have the biggest mark up on the high street but we understand that items can be in their windows for years before they sell so a huge mark up is how they make a living. There again would a high end watch maker sell their brand at cost from the factory i don't think so why would they it would devalue their brand and upset their outlet jewelers. Prices are kept high for a purpose we all know there is one large company that mass produces almost a million watches a year with machine made movements and is still one of the biggest names in watches even i would like to own one all because of the high prices and resale value.

Thread Information