Do watches need to be serviced even when not worn?
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Do watches need to be serviced even when not worn?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Do watches need to be serviced even when not worn?

Out of curiosity, but let's say I bought an automatic watch, put it in its original box and just let it sit in my room for 10+ years. Do I still need to service the watch for overhaul and stuff every few years in this case? Do the watch get any kind of damage over time?
    Favorites brands, in order:
    Andreas Strehler, Grönefeld, Romain Gauthier, Rolex, H. Moser & Cie, Moritz Grossmann, Raul Pagés, Lang & Heyne, Urban Jürgensen, Glashütte Original, Vacheron Constantin, Schwarz-Etienne,Czapek & Cie, Zenith, Ressence, MING, Arnold & Son, Jaquet Droz, Hentschel, Maurice Lacroix, Girard Perregaux, Dornblüth & Sohn, Eterna, Parmigiani, Perrelet, Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer, Bulova, Tourby, Orient, and many more :)

~ Musician ~

Re: Do watches need to be serviced even when not worn?

Yes. The lubricants in the movement have a shelf life.

*edit* To be clear, that's only before you eventually wear it. If you never use it, then you never need to service it. As long as the movement isn't running, nothing will break.
    Last edited by Likestheshiny; March 6th, 2015 at 06:36.

Yes they still need to be serviced. Lubricants dry up over time. Not using a watch at all for a long period of time could make this problem worse.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    Yes. The lubricants in the movement have a shelf life.

*edit* To be clear, that's only before you eventually wear it. If you never use it, then you never need to service it. As long as the movement isn't running, nothing will break.

At first I misunderstood your initial answer, but I get it now; so you mean the lubricants WILL dry off eventually, and the mechanism inside will become stiff, but if I DON'T wear the watch at all, there won't be any opportunity for the mechanism inside to actually start moving, thus my watch will not be damaged. Is this correct?
    Last edited by humanalien; March 6th, 2015 at 07:32.
    Andreas Strehler, Grönefeld, Romain Gauthier, Rolex, H. Moser & Cie, Moritz Grossmann, Raul Pagés, Lang & Heyne, Urban Jürgensen, Glashütte Original, Vacheron Constantin, Schwarz-Etienne,Czapek & Cie, Zenith, Ressence, MING, Arnold & Son, Jaquet Droz, Hentschel, Maurice Lacroix, Girard Perregaux, Dornblüth & Sohn, Eterna, Parmigiani, Perrelet, Raymond Weil, Tag Heuer, Bulova, Tourby, Orient, and many more :)

~ Musician ~

One more question: for lubricants, do people usually do that work by themselves, or do we have to bring it to nearest watch repair shop and let them put lubricants?

I've heard official service centers usually bill you crazy amount of money for services after your warranty period. Do they cost money for simple task like putting on lubricants as well? If they do, that's preposterous!
    Last edited by humanalien; March 6th, 2015 at 07:33.

~ Musician ~

28A

It isn't as simple as "putting on lubricants". Every 5 years, a mechanical watch needs to be completely serviced. This means that the watch is stripped down, every part is cleaned, then reassembled with the correct lubricants during assembly.

Perhaps you should search for threads regarding servicing. This has to be done regardless of whether a watch is used or not. If you buy a watch, and have absolutely no intention of EVER using it.. then don't bother.

If however, 20 years down the track you decide you want to wear it, have it serviced first.
    Nick.

Divers - June 1977 Seiko 6309-7040 Quartz Hybrid | March 1978 Seiko 7548-700H (Orange Dial) in a 6309-7040 case | February 1972 Seiko 6105-8110 | Seiko 7548 "Tuna" TST | October 1985 Seiko H558-5000 "Arnie" | Scurfa Stainless Steel.

Chronographs - July 1972 Seiko 6139-6005 (True Pogue).

It's not a DIY job. The movement has to be disassembled. They'll charge you their standard service fee. Out of warranty an independent repairer is generally a more cost effective option but it will vary from shop to shop.

Quote Originally Posted by 28A View Post
    It isn't as simple as "putting on lubricants". Every 5 years, a mechanical watch needs to be completely serviced. This means that the watch is stripped down, every part is cleaned, then reassembled with the correct lubricants during assembly.

Perhaps you should search for threads regarding servicing. This has to be done regardless of whether a watch is used or not. If you buy a watch, and have absolutely no intention of EVER using it.. then don't bother.

If however, 20 years down the track you decide you want to wear it, have it serviced first.

I know the overhaul process and servicing required every 3~5 years, but this is only about lubricants.

I recently purchased a watch, and it came defective: to be exact, all functions worked perfect except lubricants had dried out so the crown would not turn smooth manually. I returned the watch for return, but you get what I mean. Some watches, if they stay in a factory for too long, they get their lubricants dried out. Surely I don't have to pay for all the close inspection work when the only thing I need is to get it lubricated.

~ Musician ~

Quote Originally Posted by humanalien View Post
    I know the overhaul process and servicing required every 3~5 years, but this is only about lubricants.
    Renewal of lubricants is the primary reason for servicing every 5 years. At the same time the seals are replaced and the watch is regulated.

Do people service their inexpensive Seikos regularly? because I do have a few....service feed can be expensive.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information