DO YO THINK IM BEING UNREASONABLE ???
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: DO YO THINK IM BEING UNREASONABLE ???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

DO YO THINK IM BEING UNREASONABLE ???

OK so i have a couple of vintage watches ( a 1950's Tudor oyster prince 34 and a gold Benson with cyma movement ) they both have acrylic glass and i wanted to get them changed to simple glass, so i took them to the jewelers on the 19th march 2015 and asked if they could get me a quote for this, they told me the Tudor would need to go back to Rolex no problem there fully understand and they would get there in house technician to give me a quote on the Benson again no problem.

any way up until yesterday i had heard nothing and as the better half is making me dress like a penguin tonight for a party we are going too i would have liked to have worn one of them i only have one other dress watch but that's on a metal strap, so i called them yesterday and they have told me they have still not heard from Rolex yet regarding the Tudor but i get the impression they have not even sent it yet and that they are still waiting for a quote regarding the Benson,

so after nearly three weeks nothing but am i being unreasonable with expecting at the least some news on the Tudor and the Benson back by now?

so what i am asking is ?

1) for some opinions and advice?

2) does any body know any good watch technicians in and around Birmingham UK ?

attached a couple pictures just in case you might be interested
    Many thanks

Name:  tudor 1.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  125.6 KBName:  benson 1.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  44.0 KBName:  benson 2.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  66.6 KB

Yes.

Why do you want the crystals changed?
    Donf and ShaggyDog like this.

Re: DO YO THINK IM BEING UNREASONABLE ???

In general terms I don't think you are being unreasonable to expect a call from your jewellers within 3 weeks. However, I don't see why you would want to change the crystals in the first place? Leave well alone, I say.
    "From the banks of the River Irwell to the shores of Sicily..."

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

i just prefer the look of glass but as a newbie here and after looking and reading more i do have to say i am now leaning away from it regarding the tudor,

but no other reason than personal choice and a little ignorance i do apologise if you find it offensive,

so mr mcloud you dont think three weeks is along time to wait ?

Yes. Your request is unreasonable for an authorised dealer. Any change in crystal material would be a modification, not part of the original specification. Most likely they dismissed your enquiry and moved on to something they felt that they could actually help with.

I've done some crystal swaps. Mainly mineral to sapphire or acrylic. This was at my discretion, and it wouldn't be recommended by the manufacturer.
    Last edited by Ace McLoud; April 4th, 2015 at 16:13.

Quote Originally Posted by W513MFS View Post
    OK so i have a couple of vintage watches ( a 1950's Tudor oyster prince 34 and a gold Benson with cyma movement ) they both have acrylic glass and i wanted to get them changed to simple glass, so i took them to the jewelers on the 19th march 2015 and asked if they could get me a quote for this, they told me the Tudor would need to go back to Rolex no problem there fully understand and they would get there in house technician to give me a quote on the Benson again no problem.

any way up until yesterday i had heard nothing and as the better half is making me dress like a penguin tonight for a party we are going too i would have liked to have worn one of them i only have one other dress watch but that's on a metal strap, so i called them yesterday and they have told me they have still not heard from Rolex yet regarding the Tudor but i get the impression they have not even sent it yet and that they are still waiting for a quote regarding the Benson,

so after nearly three weeks nothing but am i being unreasonable with expecting at the least some news on the Tudor and the Benson back by now?

so what i am asking is ?

1) for some opinions and advice?

2) does any body know any good watch technicians in and around Birmingham UK ?

attached a couple pictures just in case you might be interested
    Many thanks
    Ok, so you took them to a jewelers who in turn sublet them to third party repair shops. When you took them in you apparently did not even bother to ask how long it could take for an estimate. And now you are upset because you can't have the watches right now for some event. I think your expectations are unrealistic and border on petulant because you never asked for or established a timeline.

Most good repair shops are horribly backed up for estimates and repairs. Six months to repair a watch is not unusual. The less good ones will get you in right away.

You asked for opinions. My opinion on the work being requested is that it is a complete waste of time and money just to change crystal materials. The modern crystals will look out of place on vintage watches like the Rolex and Cyma.
    Last edited by John MS; April 4th, 2015 at 16:28.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I would not have taken my watches to a jeweler in the first place.
    Secondly I would have chosen to replace with acrylic crystals again to keep the character of the watches.
    I would not have agrred to send the Tudor to Rolex, a good (read experienced and knowledgeable) watchmaker knows where to,source a fitting crystal.
    I would have checked the web site of the Beitish Horological Institute for repairers to find one close to my place.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by W513MFS View Post

so mr mcloud you dont think three weeks is along time to wait ?
    Do not know what mr mcloud will say but I say yes. Was waiting for a quote (Mido) for 8 weeks and including writing to and fro + quote + repair took 14 weeks. With vintage watches patience needs to grow.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Do you think you need to shout at us with an ALL CAPS thread title?
    Donf and ShaggyDog like this.
    “I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.” Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mühle-Glashütte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

Quote Originally Posted by SomeAssemblyRequired View Post
    Do you think you need to shout at us with an ALL CAPS thread title?
    YES!
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information