WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Do you add/remove bracelet links yourself, and if so what tool do you use?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SnapIT 
#1 ·
If I need a link added or removed from a bracelet, and I didn't buy the watch from my local dealer, I get hit up for $5 in labor per visit. I've seen a number of bracelet pin tools listed for sale all over the place, and was wondering if others out here have used any of them to add or remove links, and if there was a particular type of tool that worked better than others (I've seen pliers, vise-like gadgets, and so forth). I tried searching the message archives for earlier discussions on this and couldn't find anything (I may not have typed in the search correctly, though).

If this needs to be relocated to another forum for a response, please do so...

Mike

#4 ·
And whatever you do don't be afraid of messing up. Questions, the forums always have folks to help step you through. And whatever you do, go slowly. If you think you are being too careful, be a little more so. I went and bought a bunch of common tools and the sites you have been given are as good as any. Then, get one of the refinishing kits so just in case, you can correct your errors. Besides, the $5 is not so bad but doing it yourself, you know how it was done!

paul

G
#6 ·
Is it absolutely neceesary to have one of those blocks with all the intersecting lines to place the watch in before you can remove links?

I ordered a watch along with just the tool with the small end for pushing the pins through. Can you take out links with that alone?
Yes and no.

Some bracelets are too thick to insert into the block. You may also need to remove the clasp. You may also scratch the bracelet (Yes, plastic can scratch mirror finish steel. Don't ask me how.)

The block does help stabilize the bracelet so it remains vertical when the punch goes in. This makes it much easier to force the pin out. Usually hand pressure is insufficient to remove the pin and light taps with a hammer is needed.

I use hard foam/styrofoam pads for bracelets that can't fit the block. It's pretty easy to cut a groove sized for the bracelet in the foam but I usually do without. The foam also acts as a receiver for the pin, so you won't lose it.

Some Seikos and Citizens have little friction collars in the links used to secure the pins. Be careful not to lose them or else the pins will not stay in the links. They're almost invisible once you drop them on the floor.

#7 ·
There is also a very cheap tool just for pushing the pins out. It works fine, go slowly, and no need of the holder.

Paul:-d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.