Do you bother changing the date on your analogue watches? - Page 2
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Do you bother changing the date on your analogue watches?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Do you bother changing the date on your analogue watches?

Q: Is setting the correct date any more obsessive than setting the time?
    A: No. Both features make the watch useful.

I always set the time, date, etc. to right on the dot before I put a watch on my wrist. I don't view that as a burden but a joy to play with my watch. Otherwise, an Apple Watch (or any smart watches) would do just fine. I believe this is what sets most watch enthusiasts apart from those who just want something to tell the time on their wrist.
    Paper clip likes this.

Yes, I have to set my watches to the correct day and date. It would bug me to look down and see them displayed incorrectly. As others have said, I find it easier and quicker to set the day/date on my watch than to set the time, which I have to do anyway. The exception is a vintage hand-wound Elgin I have with a non-quick-set date. That watch gets zero wrist time, since setting the date just isn't worth the hassle.

Maybe you should trade/sell some of your watches and get some no-date versions. There are plenty of good ones out there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I send mine out to have the day/date set for me, just easier that way
    FBPB, happyscrappyheropup and japc like this.
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Yes, always. I buy watches with the date for a reason, which is that I look at them to remind me what the date is.

My solution is that I will rotate watches wearing them a week at a time, not a day at a time. Also, all my date watches are quickset or at least semi-quickset. If I had a non-quickset date watch, that would be a problem

I do, but I find it to be a hassle, so I prefer no date watches.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I do, except on my Vostok. Most times I wear it it’s just not worth the effort, especially since I can barely see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JMW

Quote Originally Posted by orian View Post
    Do you bother changing the date on your analogue watches?
    Of course I change the dates.

The date complication is not a necessary feature for me and some of my favorite watches are dateless.

However, if the watch has a date, I want it to reflect the correct date, just as I want my watch to reflect the correct time.

Only my Rolex 1503 lacks a quickset, so I only choose to wear it when the watch has stopped on a date that is not burdensome to change to the correct date.
    Slm643 likes this.
    If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.-- Johnny Carson

Quote Originally Posted by murokello View Post
    Why is it more hassle than setting the correct time? I mean it takes that extra 10s. I always set the date because I want to see the correct date.
    Because depending on how infrequently you wear a particular watch in your rotation schedule, the date of that watch is likely to be weeks out of date. This means that you have to manually turn the crown back and forth many times to get the right date—assuming that the watch lets you the change date with a back and forth crown turn.

Some watches don’t have that, and so you have turn the crown so that the hands move through a twenty four hour cycle to just move the date forward by one day. That’s ok if you are only one day behind. If you are 28 days behind, it is a hassle.
    Last edited by orian; June 10th, 2019 at 18:16.

Quote Originally Posted by FBPB View Post
    I am guessing your watches don't have movements that offer date hacking.

Solution: When you get up each morning, first pick your watch for the day, then take it into the bathroom with you and set the time/date while taking your morning dump.... Problem solved.
    I have a Seiko dress watch that has a day and date hack. The rest of my watches don’t have one.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information