Do you bother changing the date on your analogue watches? - Page 9
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Do you bother changing the date on your analogue watches?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Re: Do you bother changing the date on your analogue watches?

Buy a watch winder so you don't have to do that as frequently. Yes, my OCD prohibits me from not setting date.

Quote Originally Posted by orian View Post
    Do you bother changing the date on your analogue watches?

I ask, because I find it a hassle to do so, as I have over 15 watches that go through a weekly wearing rotation. Which means that it takes a while for each watch to get wrist time. So when a watch that has not had wrist time for a couple of months gets to be worn, the date needs changing. This is a hassle with automatic analogue watches—even with quartz analogue ones that need the date adjusting for uneven last dates of each month.

I used to not change the dates because of this, but due to the mysterious onset of a compulsive obsessive urge in me to have a watch display the correct date, I started doing so.

Most date displays on analogue watches are so hard to see anyway due to various factors such as small date windows etc. that there really is no logical reason to want to change the date. Yet we feel the need to do so.

In this day and age, with the date displayed on phones and PCs etc. do we really need to have the correct date displayed on our watches?

Maybe the date complication on watches has outlived its historical purpose?
    Because I am often changing my watches and the automatics run down their power reserves after not being worn for several weeks, I always wear a digital on my left wrist which keeps the day, date and time. A perpetual calendar does not have that date problem, if you keep it going, however setting the hands is quick, but I often don't bother with winding around the date as that watch will be replaced in the following week or so.

I never use the date on watches, because I never write checks anymore.
    Unfortunately most watches come with an ugly date thing because it is a "feature", which I don't need.
    oztech likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Its a feature a lot of people want not need we are constantly surrounded by devices showing month, day and date but a wrist watch is still the fastest way to see what time it is besides looking great on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by U5512 View Post
    I don't bother to change the date, day, month, moonphase, etc., on any of my watches. I just set the time and go!!!
    I even have to set the moonphase to within a couple of days (the best I can discern on some, unless it's a Full or New Moon). Quite easy to tell what phase with my phone app. See..., cell phones are good for some things... especially if they are used to set mechanical watches!
    I have found that some people just like to hear themselves typing.

Friends don't let friends buy G-Schlocks.

Don't be effing around... get the Patek and be done!!

You think I'm condescending...?? Do you even know what that means... ??

Every time God closes one door... I open a bottle of bourbon.

¹ I have learned that you have to put a smiley face or LOL behind anything just so people don't take you too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by I Like em BIG ! ! View Post
    I even have to set the moonphase to within a couple of days (the best I can discern on some, unless it's a Full or New Moon). Quite easy to tell what phase with my phone app. See..., cell phones are good for some things... especially if they are used to set mechanical watches!
    So are atomic moonphase G-Shocks
    Slm643 likes this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

yes, I do that. I still look at my watch for date :)

Why is it a "bother"? It's easy.

Vulcain Nautique 1st Swiss/1967 * Seiko 5 SpeedTimer 1st Auto Chrono, from Tokyo Ginza/1969 * Handful of Seiko Quartz Chronos * Heuer Re-issue 1963 Pre-TAG Carrera chrono * TAG Heuer "Carrera" Chrono * Omega "Speedmaster" Chrono * Baume & Mercier Formula S Chrono * Zenith "El Primero" HW Chrono * Mühle Glashütte Nautische Chrono * Sinn 903ST “Navitimer” Chrono * Techné SparrowHawk II Chrono * Alpina Startimer Big-Date Chrono * Zodiac Sea Dragon chrono * (2) Victorinox "Infantry Vintage" Chronos (Silver/Green) * Junkers "G38" chrono * Hamilton Pioneer Khaki chrono * Bulova Marine Star Chrono/Diver * Breitling Chronospace chrono * Dan Henry 1939 chrono * Fortuna chrono * Delbana "Silverstone" chrono * Ball Fireman "Storm Chaser" chrono * William L. chrono * Junghans Meister Telemeter Chronoscope *

Date? I thought that was a modern GMT kinda thing. Guess I can stop wondering where it’s 13 or 27 o’clock now.
    To paraphrase LBJ: “What have YOU done for bidirectional countdown bezels today?!?"

Well pardner, that ain't near enough.

I never set the date or day, only the time and where necessary, the relevant GMT setting.
    Tudor: BB Black, Omega: Seamaster 300M, Breitling: Superocean Heritage II, Seiko: SRPB99 Samurai, Steinhart: Ocean Vintage GMT, Ocean One Vintage GMT-2 (Hong Kong LE), Pilot Nav B-Uhr 44 (Bronze), NTH:Carolina

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information