Do you change your own battery and tips on how to
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Do you change your own battery and tips on how to

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Do you change your own battery and tips on how to

I see places that offer battery changes for around $5. and wonder how they make money. Makes me wonder about the quality of the battery. So I was thinking about changing my own and need some tips. For one what type of caseback is the easiest. A caseback that you pry open I would think you need some type of tool to press it back on correctly. And the caseback that screws on, how do you know when it is tight enough and what is the best tool for that one. The ones that have screws I imagine you just tighten down snug. Any tips for the gshock. the other advantage of doing it yourself I think is that when it goes you can change it immediately at home vs finding a place especially if it happens late at night or on the weekend.
    Jdreg likes this.

Re: Do you change your own battery and tips on how to

My Gshock has a screw down caseback. I've always changed battery myself for that. For all of my other watches, however, it's just impossible for me to close the caseback. My first time trying to change a battery by myself started with my Pulsar and a really sharp butter knife. I got the caseback off (while scratching a ton of deep scratches into the watch). However, putting the caseback back on is horrible. I couldn't get it on. The caseback was open for like a year before I took the time to get the back closed.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

If you have the tools, you can change a battery in about 3 minutes. If you buy in bulk, you can buy quality batteries for less than a buck a piece (Energizer, Renata, Maxell etc).

Generally, these places do other things besides change batteries.

For tool required just do a search for watch case openers....
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They pay way less than retail for batteries, don't change case seals and tend to work very quickly. Their quick work can sometimes result in scratched case backs and stripped screws. I've changed batteries on everything from a Casio to a Seiko Perpetual Calendar with it's fiddly calendar reset procedure.

I try and only use Energizers. Renatas are not good quality and cheaper, which is why you see them in most of the mall battery changing stores. You also want them as fresh as possible. Some of the cheaper bulk packs have been around for a while. You don't want to skimp on a battery. I've had Renatas leak.

That being said, I can change most of my battery watches. The variables are how hard the caseback is to get on and off and how the battery is held in place. You do need to be very careful if you have vintages with the contact that pivots across the top, held in place by 2 screws. These can go flying across the room if you are not careful. Assume a Zen-like manner when doing these tasks.
    Brasseye likes this.
    "My grail showed up today"

Whatever you do with what tool, just don't rush it.
    Learn as much about the watch you're working on,
    and make sure you're putting in the right battery
    Last edited by ggyy1276; July 3rd, 2011 at 22:50.
    Brasseye likes this.

Plastic tweezers are useful for handling batteries; keeps skin oil off the battery and helps extracting and replacing batteries in the watch. A pair of pointed, metal tweezers is helpful for connecting the battery and a reset point for resetting some movements and modules. Check the owners manual to see if your watch(es) need this procedure.
    And don't forget to have some o-ring lubricating grease handy; it helps keep the gaskets from drying out and helps prevent them from damage when replacing the caseback.

~Sherry.
    Brasseye likes this.
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

Banned
    I dont mind investing in the proper tools and batteries. My main concern is knowing the correct placement of the caseback putting it back on. Is there a certain amount of torque or pressure you have to apply or just snap or screw on until snug?

With the snap on back/pry open back, there is usually a little grove on the underside of the back along the edge. You align that with the stem. For these kinds of watches, you can use swiss army knives. Just be careful that you don't slip :). Snapping the backs on can sometimes be a challenge. Sometimes the edge on the back of the watch (sorry I don't know what it's called D:) is a little wider than the casing. There are 2 things that can be done. There is a tool that closes the back, but is limited to circle non domed crystal watches. Another method is filing the edge slightly.

For the screw type backs, you need a special tool. These ones can be a little harder to open depending how much grit and dirt is between the back and casing and depending how tight it was put on in the first place. There is not specific position to screw these back on. The gaskets on these watches sometimes become stretched and displaced.

If you are having troubles with watches with screws, try applying downward pressure while turning your whole arm from the elbow, not just turning with your fingers/wrist. I've found that I can get the tighter screws and have a lower chance to strip screw and damage screwdrivers. There is a tool that is made for opening stripped screws, but I have never been able to get them to work. If you do have a screw that is strip, you can bring it to the jewellery repair and have them drill it out.

Hope that helps.

Banned
    I looked at a couple, which is a good tool, not to expensive for removing a screw down caseback. And what is the best way to put back on a snap on caseback?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information