Do you EVEN use your watch?!
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Do you EVEN use your watch?!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    D23

Question Do you EVEN use your watch?!

Hello!

I'm new to the forum, so far it looks like an amazing resource for all things watches and a great place for fun conversation.

Please excuse the provocative thread title, as I'm sure all of you for the most part actually use your watches! The question at hand is more or less, do you actually use your watch as it was perhaps intended to be used? Or have you given your watch's intended function a purpose whether it be using it for your own particular profession, sporting, hobbies, or even just everyday use?

I'm attempting to ask this question because I'm new to the watch scene... I own several everyday beater watches with none offering much practicality other then a Timex chronograph (works great!)... The problem is, it's just not that exciting... I don't love putting it on everyday. I'm ready to make a serious purchase and step up to the luxury tier, However, I actually want to wear and use the watch while I'm at work.

I work as a Paramedic and often can find myself in some pretty precarious situations (not so easy on watches). I mostly use my watch to measure time in a chronographic type setting, which is ideal for keeping track of time elapsed on scene, patching and reporting to off-site Doctors, referencing time for medication administration, taking pulses, even using an alarm function if I find myself able to take a nap on a quiet night shift.

The watch I'm eyeballing is the Omega Speedmaster Skywalker X-33 (roughly $6000)... Is it too much watch to be used on duty? Do any of you guys use a luxury type watch in a harsh or rough work environment? I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions!

Thanks,
    D23

Re: Do you EVEN use your watch?!

I wear beater on the job and nicer watches on my time off. I see no sense in wearing a nice watch in a situation were it could be damaged.
    rdoder, tkdwarrior and WatchNut22 like this.

I imagine a x-33 would withstand pretty much everything you can throw at it. Though I am not sure I would want such a watch to be bathed in various bodily fluids and possibly chemicals. I would go the beater route for job + nice watch for everything else, myself. But to each his own.
    Jaeger Lecoultre Master Grande Ultra Thin Date, Bucherer Edition
    Rolex
    Sea Dweller 4000, ref 116600 / Datejust, ref 116234 / Milgauss, ref 116400
    Longines Conquest Heritage 1954-2014 (#13 of 60)
    Grand Seiko SBGA011 / SBGV005
    Seiko SBBN015
    Sinn 140 A (#087 of 500)
    + others...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

D23

Very respectable opinions, thank you very much.

I also imagine the Skywalker X-33 would handle pretty much anything I could throw at it. A few dings/dents/chips wouldn't bother me.

I am more or less struggling with the idea that not many people wear a luxury type watch while at work in a more harsh environment... Regardless of its functionality.

It's not like it particularly looks very luxurious. If you can afford it, and will enjoy it as a daily wearer, I say go for it man. It's a quality piece that will last for years and years to come.
    LadyTime likes this.

Depending on the situations you find yourself in out in the field. an expensive watch could become a target rather than an asset.

And also, to be honest, in that type of job I would want something more water-resistant than 3 bar (30 metres - 100 feet). And keep in mind the servicing costs/price of a broken crystal etc., if you are going to use the thing hard. In a tricky situation do you want to be worrying about your watch or your patient?

Nothing fundamentally wrong with the idea of an expensive working watch but a cheap, lightweight beater (everyone shout "G-SHOCK"!), will be far more durable in service.
    Last edited by UKMike; January 23rd, 2015 at 01:21.
    rdoder and tkdwarrior like this.

I'm a physician and I wear a metal Timex Indiglo because it looks somewhat formal and I can cavi-wipe it all day and it'll survive. I have much nicer watches that I will not wear to work.
    rdoder likes this.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

In answer to your first question - yes, and for a variety of purposes for which they were intended.

In answer to your other question, I believe that would be an excellent choice for the following reasons (which you have already figured out)
    Titanium construction - lightweight and corrosion resistant
    Ceramic bezel - durable
    (those two items will take care of those pesky body fluids - and the sterilizing agents to disinfect them.)
    multiple functions - including elapsed time functions and countdown timers
    multiple alarms
    Outstanding visibility - you aren't always working at noon outside
    Easy, big pushers - that WON'T snag things like the more common round style.
    Perpetual Calender - no more remembering to set the date or worrying about writing the wrong date down (make the Lawyers work)
    Thermocompensated movement - your times will be accurate. Very accurate.

Too much money for a watch to use this way?
    Look at it like this:
    1) How much is your ambulance worth? Would you want to work out of a Chrysler minivan stocked with a thermometer and Band Aids?
    2) It's NOT - NOT - NOT a luxury item. It's a TOOL., An expensive one, yes. But a damn good one. Notice that professional mechanics use Snap On, not the Lowes brand.
    3) It's your job man, the watch may someday make a difference.
    4) In between scooping brains off the pavement and hauling an OD'd reprobate in (for the 6th time) it's nice to have something 'special' to look at on your wrist!

Oh yeah - concerning the 'harsh work environment'. You know what environment in which that watch was designed to be used, right? I feel it'll be OK in Manhatten, Beverly Hills, and anyplace in between.

Well, that's my take on it anyway.
    Last edited by Donf; January 23rd, 2015 at 01:34.
    Vlance, BarracksSi and busmatt like this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A nice watch like that is perfect for daily use. My Rolex GMT travels the world with me from posh environments to rough 3rd world confines. I mow the lawn, swim and work on the car with it on. It's got plenty of scratches when viewed from 6 inches away but from a foot away looks brand new. I use all it's intended functions regularly. Unfortunately every month I have to unscrew and pull out the crown, count in my head for 15 seconds, push back and screw in the crown to set it back to perfect atomic time.

I wear my Grand Seiko everyday and my job doesn't involve sitting at or behind a desk.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information