Do you ever get sick of looking for that next watch?
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Do you ever get sick of looking for that next watch?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Do you ever get sick of looking for that next watch?

I seem to be going through a particularly intense period of watch research at the moment. Donít know why. But I feel I need one more watch to round the collection off. Not permanently of course, but for the time being. And hardly a day goes by when I donít come across yet another hitherto unknown watch brand, most of which I dismiss due to not liking the general design, or the price is out of my reach. And so I return to the same handful of brands that all tickle my fancy in some way. Currently I am in a vicious circle that is marked out by the likes of Seiko, Sinn, Christopher Ward, and one or two others. Round and round I go, model to model, make to make, budget to budget.

And occasionally I stop and realise Iím sick of looking at all of them. And I realise Iím overwhelmed by the sheer number of watches out there. Sometimes I feel this hobby is starting to take over my life. Iím spending time obsessing over some watch or other and should probably be spending that time with my family. Or generally doing something more productive.

And so I step away from it. I look at my current collection. It numbers about 12 watches. I like all of them. Why the hell do I want any more? And yet, after some quality time away from the laptop, back I go. Once again searching for that watch that has just the right X factor I apparently need and that apparently is not provided by any of the existing collection. Something keeps luring me back despite the unhealthy amount of time it gobbles up.

Here are some of the models currently slowly driving me round the bend:-

Name:  s_sbdx001_s_1024x1024.jpeg
Views: 614
Size:  179.5 KB

Name:  seiko-brightz-sdgz013.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  107.0 KB

Name:  Sinn 103.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  154.5 KB

Not looking for any recommendations BTW, just that a thread with pictures is a happier thread.
    Last edited by PYLTN; April 4th, 2015 at 12:41.
    socrates35 and Maithree like this.

Re: Do you ever get sick of looking for that next watch?

For sure I love looking at watches and there are so many gorgeous ones around that it is easy for me to become so enchanted with the idea of owning them. But then I realize I will (in all certainty) never be able to afford the vast majority. If I feel I need a watch for a purpose then I will definitely have a look around for something that I can afford that I really like, and I will take my time and not rush into anything. But for me I can definitely appreciate a nice watch without having to own it. For me to own something that I don't use/have a need for feels selfish on my part in some way. Not to judge those that have large collections, more power to you! Maybe I am lucky because I don't feel like I need to own something in order to appreciate it's beauty. Anyway those are my 2 cents.
    PYLTN, rdoder and EnderW like this.
    have:
    Squale 20 Atmos
    Seiko SRP443
    Citizen Nighthawk
    Seiko SKX007
    Casio DW-5600MS
    the dream:
    Breitling avenger II

The problem is.....you have your eyes on three fantastic looking watches.

This hobby is a crazy one. It takes a lot of discipline, staying focus on what you really want (that is whatever approach, collection theme you are after). For me, it makes the journey an enjoyable one. Keep looking, just be clear of what you want.
    Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PYLTN and Swans21 like this.
    Dress
    JLC Grande Reverso 986 Duotime |
    Nomos Ludwig Automatik LE | Chopard LUC | Orient Bambino | JR 1681

Chrono
    Glashutte Original Senator Chrono | Longines 180th Anniversary Numbered Edition | Zenith El Primero Red LE |
    Seiko Solar Chrono | Breitling Transocean Chronograph | Bremont ALT1-Z

Divers
    JLC Master Compressor NSA | GP Sea Hawk II | Omega PO 2500 | Tudor Black Bay | Rolex 116610LV | Longines Legend Diver | Ball Hydrocarbon Engineer Ė Mad Cow | Seiko SBDC027 (LE) | Seiko SNZF53

Shared wrist time with wife
    IWC Portugeiser Auto Ref 3531
    Gerald Genta Bi-Retro
    Revue Thommen Ė Cricket

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nutty28 View Post
    The problem is.....you have your eyes on three fantastic looking watches.

This hobby is a crazy one. It takes a lot of discipline, staying focus on what you really want (that is whatever approach, collection theme you are after). For me, it makes the journey an enjoyable one. Keep looking, just be clear of what you want.
    Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise words. The chrono thing has been doing a number on me - can't decide if I want one or not. Many are far too busy, I don't know how much I would actually use the function. And yet, one or two keep pulling at me.

But staying focussed is good advice. Thanks.
    Nutty28, Ponder and joepac like this.

Yes. Which is why I finally got the sense to pony-up and and pay for the watch I truly wanted as opposed to wasting money on those I kinda wanted.
    fld and joepac like this.
    "Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Breitling|Tag Heuer|Omega|Rolex|Ulysse Nardin

For me, the research IS the hobby. I don't know about the rest of you, but I find that the "thrill" of a new watch diminishes rather quickly. The pursuit/search seems to be more enjoyable than the capture!
    PYLTN, rdoder, gouverneur and 5 others like this.
    "This thing all things devours:
    Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
    Gnaws iron, bites steel,
    Grinds hard stones to meal;
    Slays king, ruins town,
    And beats high mountain down."
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Why would you not want to get the Sinn 103? Sheeeeshhh....

Yes.
    I have one watch and I wear it. Not looking. Why would I. Don't need GMT, chrono, date, bigger or smaller, cooler or newer, certainly don't want a miyota watch from a hong kong factory that badges the same same watches for the same boutique brands.

I have a back up watch if I break this and a couple to be flogged. I am satisfied.
    Giggo and grnjp88 like this.

I can relate. I find myself searching for wartches all day long!! When I finally see one I like the price is usually $50,000+ :(

Soooo back to CW, hamilton, or used omega I go!!

My wife is no better!! I can catch her looking at shoes or purses at any given moment!! Which she refuses to buy because of price!! The difference is im more likely to pull the trigger!!! You only live once!!
    PYLTN, socrates35 and Ponder like this.

It's human nature to enjoy and crave variety. But there are finite varieties out there. I've been where OP is before. Agree with Howl that one could enjoy beauty of watches without buying. I've looked through all the Internet watch pictures and videos enough to have enjoyed the varieties without having to buy and flip through them, and I'm at a point where I still like to look and learn about watches, but there's less craving to buy and own. Agree with Split Second that there's wisdom in saving money for what one really wants instead of settling. Having a variety of watches, with one or a few with high enough quality for oneself that one really likes, works for me.
    Last edited by rdoder; April 4th, 2015 at 15:17.
    EnderW likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information