Do you ever worry that your "nice looking" watches will attract negative attention? Has it ever ?
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Do you ever worry that your "nice looking" watches will attract negative attention? Has it ever ?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Do you ever worry that your "nice looking" watches will attract negative attention? Has it ever ?

I think I am jaded. I have been working in the criminal justice system for a few years now, and deal with crime and police reports day in and day out and read horrific stories and am always on my toes about crime. I hope to one day leave the field.

That being said, I'm curious to know whether anybody worries that something like a Breitling or nice Rolex or whatever may entice somebody to try to pull something like a robbery?

Thankfully my SMPc chrono doesn't look "blingy" enough and only two randomly people have asked me about it.
    My Longines somehow got more attention, including one guy asking to randomly see it off my wrist (I, of course, said no but it got my guard up).

Curious if anybody has that "Oh, I'm going into a bad 'hood, better hide the watch/other stuff" feeling or if it's not a concern?

Banned

Re: Do you ever worry that your "nice looking" watches will attract negative attention? Has it ever

If you are located in the USA, probably you may have good reason to worry. Here in Canada not so much. I wear all my nice watches everywhere,

Re: Do you ever worry that your "nice looking" watches will attract negative attention? Has it ever

Really the only time I worried was during an internship where I noticed I wore nicer watches than my boss.
    blacktuesday likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nope, no concerns here.

No. I'm ready to protect myself, my family and my property to the death if necessary.
    BDIC likes this.
    Best Regards,

--Todd

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by Joachim88 View Post
    If you are located in the USA, probably you may have good reason to worry. Here in Canada not so much. I wear all my nice watches everywhere,
    You have good reason to worry in Canada, too. You're just being naive. Or you've never ventured into a rougher neighbourhood.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

perhaps not worried/paranoid or being too self-conscious, but I do take into account the place where I'm going and/or the people I will be with,

I'm not into drawing attention to myself or the things I wear ... if I were to draw attention to my watch, it won't be because it's a high end luxury watch, it'll be because it's unique/silly/funny
    m577a2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Joachim88 View Post
    Seriously, paint with a broad brush much? I live in NYC and don't worry about it, maybe I would if I were wandering the back streets and allies of, oh I don't know...toronto?
    Sorry, I tried but yours was just a really douchey comment.
    http://veteranswatchmakerinitiative.org/
    Training Combat Disabled Vets to become Watchmakers
    https://www.gofundme.com/VWIBulova

Robbers don't target property; they target people. Those who appear distracted, unaware, or timid are more at risk. Those who exhibit confidence, awareness, and ownership of their space are less at risk.

A fellow can wear an obviously expensive watch and walk downtown at night...if he exudes an image of being ready to kill the first robber who tries it, most will reconsider for an easier target.

Of course, this dynamic changes with the desperation of the offender and the willingness to resist of the victim. A robber looking at a 12-year sentence from a prior case who's plum out of meth might be willing to risk his life to get the money from your watch. Are you willing to risk your life to keep it?

To answer your question—no, I don't.
    Will_f and SeanoftheDead516 like this.

It honestly never even crosses my mind. Then again none of my watches are overly blingy and most of the people in my area are wealthy retirees. Kinda makes it hard to meet chicks, but on the flipside I don’t have to worry about my watches.

I always complain about the cost of living in my area, but I really do appreciate the fact that a 75yo former plastic surgeon isn’t likely to beat me up and take my watch...

Plus, so many watches are nice looking. Some guy on TRF was all excited cause some girl in line at Chipotle said “Nice watch, is it Michael Kors?” to his $37k rose gold Rolex. Lmao.
    Last edited by Silent; November 14th, 2017 at 09:39.
    • Seiko SARX033
    • Oris Aquis
    • Rolex Daytona 116500
    • Rolex Submariner 116610LN

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information