Do you keep all your watches wound? - Page 2

Thread: Do you keep all your watches wound?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Do you keep all your watches wound?

I only wind what I wear. This thread makes me feel much better about doing so.

I have 11 automatics and I trying to keep them wound all the time. With their power reserve it takes once in two days to manually wind them.

Moderator High-end watches amine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hall View Post
    I only wind what I wear. This thread makes me feel much better about doing so.
    No winders for me, i wind what i want to wear, doesn't take long to set up the time and date.
    Oris Flight Timer R4118,Oris Carlos Coste 2007,Oris TT3,Rolex Submariner date,Rolex Milgauss GV,Rolex cosmograph Daytona,Rolex GMT Master II-C,Patek Philippe Nautilus 5712/1A,A.Lange & Söhne Lange1,Breguet Le Reveil Du Tsar,Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time,Audemars Piguet ROO Safari,Omega SMP1164,Panerai 177,Panerai 88,Panerai 214,Panerai 233,Breitling Navitimer world,Tag Heuer aquaracer D/D, Tag Heuer Microtimer,Tag Heuer SLR 2007 L.E,Tag Heuer Carrera, Cartier Santos 100,Frederique Constant Austin Healey L.E,Maurice Lacroix Pontos,Maurice Lacroix MP Double Retrograde,Chopard Mille Miglia GT XL 2007 L.E,Tissot Moto GP 2007 L.E,JeanRichard Chronoscope J-051,JeanRichard Chronoscope 25030,JeanRichard Bressel 16012,Longines Lindbergh 47mm,Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo3,Jaeger-Le-Coultre Master World Geographic,IWC Classic Pilot Chrono,IWC 5001 Portuguese 7 Days,Baume & Mercier Hampton XL Magnum,Zenith Defy Classic Chrono Aero,Zenith Defy Extreme Chrono,Longines Legend Diver...etc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Probably a silly newbie question, but...

Can you harm a handwind and/or automatic watch by letting it run down and sit unwound for periods of time (say, a few days to a week)? Is the answer different for handwinds versus automatics?

Quote Originally Posted by abingdon View Post
    Probably a silly newbie question, but...

Can you harm a handwind and/or automatic watch by letting it run down and sit unwound for periods of time (say, a few days to a week)? Is the answer different for handwinds versus automatics?
    I don't think so. If it sits, there will be no wear. The lubricants might dry up, but I think this is less an issue with the oils they use in modern watches. In fact for a large collection it might be better to not keep them all wound - since you don't wear them all the time you won't need to service them as often either. If you keep them all wound, get ready for a large service bill every five years!

I do not keep all my watches wound. I give them a shake and a few winds when I set the time before wearing them, and let them wind down when I do not wear them. I never saw the point of a watch winder since even the most accurate automatics will not show the correct time if you keep them wound all the time. If the point of having a winder is to save wear-and-tear on the crown, then hacking the time to an atomic clock whenever you put it on the wrist defeats that purpose. So now my winder sits in the closet.
    Lots of dive watches.

I only wind the one I'm wearing. I let the others run down.

No, I don't keep them wound. I select my watch for the day, wind it, and set it each morning before I leave for work/school.

It's a good idea to wind your watches at least once a month.

I have no really accurate manuals or automatics - I let them wind down - when I pick a watch and set it in the morning it'll be accurate enough till I take it off.
    Dom
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands.

Once every 2 month or so, or when I get ready to wear them.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information