Do you miss functionality?
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Do you miss functionality?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Do you miss functionality?

Ever since I was first getting interested in watches I have been obsessed with 'functionality', in inverted commas because this will mean different things to different people. For me it has always been about packing the most useful complications into as small a package as possible. I wear a Citizen BL5250-02L every day and there isn't a situation I have ever been in that isn't covered by the complications. For example, I can view two time zones and store a third and time an event all simultaneously and view it all on one watch face (unlike with some digital watches). And there are various other simultaneous functions I could example.

The other day I woke up, put my watch on and instantly thought this is ridiculous, why do I wear this? I have no need for any of this, I can get by without it. So I put on an old battery powered quartz, Blue Harbour, with a rotating bezel and day/date complication which used to belong to my late father. I rarely wear it as I'm terrified I will lose it or break it (even though I have never lost or broken a watch in my entire life). It's very simple, ever so slightly mis-aligned and has been through everything life can throw at it. It is super comfortable and suits my small wrists.

So I wore that for a week or so. There was not one single time where I thought 'I could really use [insert some complication here], I should have worn my other watch.' But then sometimes when I'm just sat around not doing much I found I missed having all the other functionality sat on my wrist, even if I wasn't using it, even though it is a bigger watch and not as comfortable.

Does anybody change watches sometimes and just miss having the option of all your functionality even if you are not using it? And why do we feel like that?
    Overwound likes this.

Re: Do you miss functionality?

Well, I don’t need all that functionality in my life these days nor am I attracted by the clutter it inevitably contributes to a watch face. That’s not to say I don’t admire the ingenuity and complexity of engineering that goes into making complications but I simply don’t like the result of it on my wrist. My accumulation therefore consists entirely of one, two and three handers. Only one has a date.

Edit: Oh, and now one with no hands...
    Last edited by G550driver; 1 Week Ago at 12:42.
    G550 (retd.)

I change watches for different look, brand, and style. Going from a normal / casual watch to a diver, the difference is just the rotating bezel even though it does have a "diver" type watch function, but to me it's just different look/style.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't miss functionality unless I really need it. And I need it fairly rarely, and on such a large time scale that I can usually just swap my watch later and it's okay (e.g. a friend travels abroad and I need to set my GMT watch to know their time zone).

I own an Apple watch, which has all of the functionality you could want and more. If I were worried about functionality, I'd never take it off!

Do you use all the functions on your washing machine, cooker ,car etc.? I don’t use all of these but they are there because they can now be added at minimal cost and look desirable in adverts.

Mechanical complications are a little more difficult but since it is old technology it will have been done before.
    Jay_R likes this.

Hours, minutes, seconds. Everything else is noise.
    oztech likes this.

I find the date useful, so it's sometimes a minor niggle when I don't have it.
    Otherwise no, because I've always regarded the rest as clutter and so never bought a watch with it (and hence never got used to having it).

I use my watches to tell me the time--nothing more, nothing less--since I work for a living, when I wake up in the morning, I know what day and date it is--for other 'complications' I go elsewhere (which is just about never).
    ceb21, oztech and Synequano like this.

I use my Watches to tell time & day.
    I like simple watches/ Diver’s Automatics. 44 mm is my preferred size.

Sent from my iPhoneXR using Tapatalk

Functionality is not something I generally consider. Hell, I don’t even care if my watch has a date function. I use my watch for telling time and more or less man jewelry.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information