Do You Need to See a Watch in the Flesh for it to Become an Object of Desire?

View Poll Results: Will You Buy a Watch Model You've Never Seen In Person?

Voters
55. This poll is closed
  • No, I only buy after I've seen one in the flesh

4 7.27%
  • I buy most watches without ever having seen one in the flesh.

24 43.64%
  • Sometimes yes, sometime no.

25 45.45%
  • Only rare or vintage watches

2 3.64%

Thread: Do You Need to See a Watch in the Flesh for it to Become an Object of Desire?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Do You Need to See a Watch in the Flesh for it to Become an Object of Desire?

I recently bought several watches which I've wanted to get for a few years. While sizing the bracelet on one it dawned on me that although these watches had been on my "list" for several years, I had never actually seen them in the flesh before buying them. It also dawned on me that this is the situation for the vast majority of watches I own, or seek to own. Of course being biased to vintage watches has allot to do with this, but I find I do this even with current watches.

How about you folks?
    Last edited by Ray916MN; December 2nd, 2010 at 22:52.

Banned

Re: Do You Need to See a Watch in the Flesh for it to Become and Object of Desire?

No, a photo is enough. That is when I start wanting one!!
    (Usually, a professional photo makes them look far better than in real life.)

In fact, I have stopped lusting many times after seing one "in the flesh"!
    It is usually the dial that is a dealbreaker for me. A good pic shows far more than the eye sees in normal light.

Banned

Re: Do You Need to See a Watch in the Flesh for it to Become and Object of Desire?

I don't need to see it to desire it, but I have fallen out of lust with modern watches after trying them on for various reasons - usually size. It's almost mandatory that I test drive any non-vintage piece. That's not an issue with most vintage watches since they're mostly right in my 33 - 39 mm wheelhouse.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wanted a Zenith Elite for a long time even though I had not seen it in person. I went to an AD last week and bought it. It is much more appealing in person than in pictures.

No, I don't always have to see them, however, if I do, it makes it better, or is that worse? :)

v76

I've purchased most of my watches sight unseen. Might be a happy coincidence that I've liked all of them
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

The only watch I was doubtfull about, I went and tried it on at an AD. Good thing, because it was instant dislike.

TKD

I'm absolutely willing to buy a watch without seeing it in person, if I'm confident that I want it after seeing a good photo or two of it. That said, I'd imagine that seeing a watch in person would have more chance of increasing my interest in the watch than decreasing it.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional Apollo 11 40th Anniversary 311.30.42.30.01.002
    Omega Speedmaster Day-Date 3222.80
    Seiko SGGA49

Banned

Re: Do You Need to See a Watch in the Flesh for it to Become an Object of Desire?

I've lusted after many watches I've never handled. The ones I have gotten around to handling / owning, I haven't been disappointed.

Re: Do You Need to See a Watch in the Flesh for it to Become an Object of Desire?

Unless you own a lot of watches or know them really well, you should see them. I buy everything online. I even buy clothes online, shoes online. Heck I bought my fridge, dishwasher and oven online.

I had a list of watches I'd been lusting over for a while. But after going to AD I actually bought one that I didn't think I'd like. One, pictures sometimes show dials differently. Sometimes watches look different on the wrist than they do on the table. Sometimes they look better on certain skin colors. I also like to "feel" the watch. Ya know, the weight and everything.

But then again, I am not a "watch person". May be once I enter that realm I'll be able to buy sight unseen. Until then, I'd like to see (unless the watch costs < $400).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information