Do you own a timegrapher?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By mleok
  • 1 Post By SergeyR

Thread: Do you own a timegrapher?

Do you own a timegrapher?

Just wondering how many members own one, and how much use you get out of it. I noticed that they can be bought quite cheaply, and thought it might be cool to see how my watches were performing at a glance.

Re: Do you own a timegrapher?

I own one, and I use it whenever I get a new watch to give me some idea of how it's performing in terms of amplitude and positional variance. In particular, it helps let me know if something looks amiss, and might perhaps require servicing. I often post the Timegrapher tests when I'm posting a watch for sale, so buyers have some idea of what they're receiving.

I used it when I dropped one of my watches on a soft carpeted floor from about 2 feet which left no marks on the watch, but it was clear that things were not well with the movement as the Timegrapher couldn't even register the rate as it was so messed up. I gave the watch a swift whack, and it seemed to dislodge the entangled balance spring, and it reverted to its prior +2 sec/day accuracy.
    GlennO, tiger roach and nikidasi like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I don't own a timegrapher; maybe I'll get one soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Chicago / Budapest (Depending on the Day of the Week)

No, but I've been thinking I should get one. Any advice on what and where?

I have a Mumford, the software is either useless or isn't working correctly, as soon as I stopped using the software and just used the timer, everything was fine. If you buy one, don't buy the software version.

I use the timer quite often and have tuned some cheap watches like a $26.00 Komandirskie to run +4 during the day and then -4 at night, I can go days with the thing running like that.

But, it's not all magic, some watches need way more than a couple of lever tweaks to run correctly. I have a 3133 that's been on and off the timer for hours and I can't get it to run right, so something must be wrong internally.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

I use Kello on my iPhone with the built in microphone on the Ear Buds. It works pretty good except on some really quiet watches like my Seiko automatics. I could/should buy a better microphone. I don't know if I would use Kello for professional work without calibrating it against a real timegrapher but it is good enough to let me know where my mechanical watches are at.

I have TYMC but this is part of my work ,
    if you wanna buy it dont waste your money one cheap one .
    John MS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeyR View Post
    I have TYMC but this is part of my work ,
    if you wanna buy it dont waste your money one cheap one .
    Yes. If I was in the market for a timing machine the model 1000 would be the one I would pick. For me the novelty would probably wear off after the watches had been tested a few times in all positions. I've found performance on the wrist to be the best indicator of accuracy and winding efficiency.

Have a 1000. Works well enough. Useful little tool.

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

I just ordered a Timegrapher 1000. I got tired of spending several days manually testing watches and spreadsheeting the results, so the reasonable cost ($185) to be able to measure accuracy instantaneously is well worth it. It's a great way to diagnose if something's amiss, especially if you test your watches periodically and record the results so you can spot any sudden changes in performance, as well as a way to immediately judge the accuracy of a new purchase (I'm even contemplating whether to take it in with me when making purchases, so that I can test several watches and take the best of the bunch).

Thread Information