Do you retire a watch because its sentimental value has become so great ?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Do you retire a watch because its sentimental value has become so great ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do you retire a watch because its sentimental value has become so great ?

Hi all, I have an old Seiko Kinetic diver SMY003P that a wore to my wedding, Daughters birth, mother and father's funerals.The Sekio has been with me old over Europe & the USA.The watch was an engagement gift from my now wife. Anyway I guess we all have items be it a watch,ring or something else that their sentimental becomes so important that it would a great loss to lose or damage.Now only wear this watch at home or for family visits.In some ways its a shame to treat such an item with kid gloves but i guess that just my soppy side :)

Re: Do you retire a watch because its sentimental value has become so great ?

No, I haven't and probably won't.

The only circumstances I can see a sentimental retirement is with a watch with a fragile movement that can't be serviced. For example, If I inherited a watch from my grandfather and replacement parts are no longer available for it, I would wear it in situations I know it wouldn't get banged up since any mechanical failure would be permanent death for the watch.
    watchvaultnyc likes this.

If you feel that way, then I'd retire it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No, I'd risk the potential loss/damage and wear it as often as I could especially given the described provenance . .
    7iain7 and ShaggyDog like this.
    A.Lange & Sohne *anOrdain * Audemars Piguet * Blancpain * Cartier * Dornblueth & Sohne * Invicta * Jaeger-LeCoultre * Méraud * Rolex * Revolution Watch Company * Tiffany & Company * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

That's a really awesome watch, and still worth a few hundred bucks. Just keep in mind that letting the older Kinetics lose their charge can cause problems down the road. I'd still wear it fairly regularly to keep the charge up, especially if it means something to you.
    7iain7 likes this.

I don't see a reason to retire a watch like the SMY003P, since any mishap which would render it inoperable would probably be pretty unpleasant for you too. Just use a bit of common sense, and take it off if it might get damaged.
    7iain7 likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I'd wear it but get the WR and spring bars checked annually.

I have a watch that my Dad gave me in high school. I wear it on special occasions (probably 4-5 times/year) but it isn't in the general rotation.

Domo's point about the older Kinetics is true - you do need to wear it (or at least charge it) to keep everything in working order. It's slightly more important than with a mechanical watch.

Adam

lvt

Wear it on one piece nylon strap so that you'll never lose it.

Well, in case both springbars fail, the watch could fly over the roof, but it's rare.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

I've got two watches that I only wear on special occasions. One was a gift from my FIL and one Inherited from my dad. I've spent more than they're worth restoring / repairing them, but I'm glad I did.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Will_f; July 20th, 2015 at 10:47.
    7iain7 likes this.
    Owner of a bunch of cool watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information