Do you see a Future for the Watch without the Wheel?
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Do you see a Future for the Watch without the Wheel?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Do you see a Future for the Watch without the Wheel?

The mechanical watch has basically relied on "wheels" for everything since the beginning with little change.

There are wheels to advance the hour, the minute, the seconds; even the escapement and hairspring are generally wheels.

Do you ever see a time in the future where "wheels" will become unnecessary in mechanical watches?

"Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Re: Do you see a Future for the Watch without the Wheel?

Really there is no real reason for the mechanical wristwatch to even exist today except for tradition. I think history/tradition will keep the gear train alive.
    Last edited by islands62; February 15th, 2018 at 21:12.
    Breguet Type XX, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph "Jacques Yves Cousteau", IWC Portuguese 7-Day Automatic, JLC Deep Sea Cermet, JLC Tribute to Polaris 1965, Omega Speedmaster Professional, Panerai 233 "Dot", Panerai 439 Oro Rosso, Patek Philippe 5130 World Time, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Seadweller, Vacheron Constantin Overseas Chronograph, Vacheron Constantin Overseas World Time. Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Traditionnelle Chronograph.

IG: bvllitt

I can’t see it happening. Mechanical watches represent obsolete technology as it is (by rights we all ought to be wearing Apple Watches) so I can’t see them changing a great deal.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not a physicist or engineer, but I would imagine, insofar as we stay mechanical, you will continue to see the wheel. Why? My guess is that the wheel offers a continuous/uniform interface unlike a square or other edged shape. Once you start adding "corners" then you need to address how to account for that "dip" in efficiency while maintaining a continuous, uniform movement in order to avoid a "hiccup" in say, the seconds hand.

Additionally, (maybe?) the mathematics of circles/radians allows for easier extrapolations to minutes/hours/days/years, etc.
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Islander Watch - Modded Diver | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger | Swatch​ - Hodinkee Sistem 51 Blue

Yes, as soon as they start making square tires.

As Islands62 and Sticky above have said, it's tradition.
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints

Yes. The HYT watch does use wheels, but parts of its hydraulic system could be used in a wheel-less watch.

A bladder or spring could pressurize the fluid and an escapement valve could be made that goes back and fourth instead of rotate.

It would use less parts. Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    Chris Stark likes this.

I can't agree that mechanical watches are effectively obsolete or that there is no reason for them except tradition.

I doubt that i am alone in wanting a mechanical watch over quartz or one of the new apple watches. At least quartz are reliable in terms of battery life but the smart watches need regular charge as do a lot of tracker watches such as fitbit.

I want reliability and as such i gravitate toward tried tested and trusted equipment and machinery. I am not a Luddite i just trust mechanics more than computers in watches.....i do have a quartz watch, so really i am not averse to technology.

So...NO...the wheel in watches stays and will for ever.
    slcbbrown likes this.

One of the newest things I've seen is the oscillator in the Zenith Defy Lab. It's made of silicon and oscillates (back and forth) at a crazy 15Hz. But I guess it's still round like a wheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCTfx9IUnjc
    "Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?" -Ben Franklin
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex

Yep, Big Brother will give you the time via your chip implant.
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.

I’m sure there’s a phrase about reinventing the wheel...

As long as people want mechanical watches and a traditional watch face, then a wheel will be the best design.

The Swiss escapement design is incredibly accurate. With only incremental design changes over the next few years we can have mass produced mechanical watches capable of guaranteed accuracy of a few seconds a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information