Do You Size Your Own Watch?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Do You Size Your Own Watch?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Do You Size Your Own Watch?

Do people on here size their own watch? I've bought a few watches from trusted online dealer but's it's always awkward going to an AD to get it sized when you didn't buy it there. It would be nice to be able to size it myself. I'm not the handiest person in the world, it makes me a little nervous trying this on a $8k watch.

Re: Do You Size Your Own Watch?

In a nutshell, yes - but you do need the right tools. For bracelets you'll need the right size punch or screwdriver and a bracelet holder (an inexpensive plastic one will do). For straps, a good leather punch that adjusts to the size hole you need.
    easyP likes this.

Yes. I bought a $20 watch kit on ebay and it works wonders.

Although an AD is an AD, it doesn't always mean the employees have the level of competency as a highly skilled watchmaker or even myself. I know myself and after sizing dozens of watches for myself, I trust myself to do the job the way I want.

Of course, my first few watches were cheaper Seikos, Fossils and Casios. Can't say I recommend giving it your first go on a $8,000 watch.

But once I sized my own Orange Monster and a few others with collar and pin system, I gained the confidence to do any bracelet myself.

As with any motorcycle, car or pen collector I feel you should be able to do your own small adjustments and repairs. Watches are no different for me.

Try it out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Buying online, yes I do. There are a couple of tools that make this easier. But you don't have to take it to an AD. Look in the phone book; I found a watch repair guy locally, and where I live, that was surprising. :) I'd broken a link pin; you need to get the style, length, and diameter right. Decided....no. Just ran over to the guy, he slid in a new pin. $6. I've also taken a watch up to a Gordon's in the mall, to get a few links removed...that was before I'd bought the tools. They charged $15, since I'd not bought the watch from them.

I will say, link pins can be tricky. But one thing you can always do is browse the web; there's an amazing amount of video on YouTube.

Absolutely size the bracelet yourself! A cup of coffee, some tunes, the right tools and a steady hand are needed though :). If you buy directly from an AD in the future, have them size it on site for you though - no need to take tools to an expensive piece as an amateur unless you need to.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
    Do people on here size their own watch? I've bought a few watches from trusted online dealer but's it's always awkward going to an AD to get it sized when you didn't buy it there. It would be nice to be able to size it myself. I'm not the handiest person in the world, it makes me a little nervous trying this on a $8k watch.
    Definitely. Especially because it takes me up to a few weeks to really know the right size. What feels great out of the box might not at the end of the day, and then the next day might be wrong again.

Just take the time to buy decent tools and watch a couple of YouTube tutorials first. If you're still unsure, post a thread here and ask.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

Always do-it-myself. My only big mistake was losing the friction collar inside the center link of a friction pin design. Now I watch those like a hungry hawk.
    With the proper tools, I have had 100% success on everything from Patek Philippe down to my friends' Christmas designer watches. Even the one I lost the collar for was okay since I was removing the link anyway!
    I honestly wouldn't trust most AD's to competently adjust the bracelet.

I always size my own, you just have to take your time.

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2977-Ph...0Y5VQGBFRBA88X

A lot of time I take a small thin piece of plastic, and put it between the screw and the driver head for extra scratch protection.

Yes i do. I've decided that if my watches are going to get scratched, i would be the one doing it. Besides, it gives my wife the impression that this is a serious hobby.
    Camguy and dbakiva like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information