Do you still have your first watch?
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Do you still have your first watch?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Do you still have your first watch?

Here's mine (not including the Ninja Turtle watch):
    Well before I get to the pics, my dad bought this for me around 6th grade or so (I'll be 27 this month), I wore it for about a decade and it died out about 2-3 years into my Naval enlistment. It survived my teen angst years of skateboarding (and being generally reckless), and my party years of getting drunk all the time (and being generally reckless).
    I was stationed in Japan when it died, don't know what went wrong, but replacing the battery didn't work. It's okay though, as the pics will show, it's not really a WIS watch so I probably wouldn't wear it anymore anyways (but if it was still ticking, I probably wouldn't have become a WIS and would still be wearing it).
    Why is it not a WIS watch? Hollow end links, cheap stamped bracelet/clasp, snap-on caseback, quartz... It's a watch I wouldn't buy today, but keep in mind, it survived a decade of hard use (I wore it constantly: swimming, bathing, skateboarding, jumping off waterfalls etc..).

A little scratched up:
    Name:  IMG_2197.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  193.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2198.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  206.5 KB

End links, bracelet, clasp shot:
    Name:  IMG_2199.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  182.0 KB

With my current collection:
    Name:  IMG_2201.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  217.9 KB

I don't know if it was dark grey when I got it, but here's a pic of it compared to the rich black of my dress watch:
    Name:  IMG_2202.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  221.5 KB

Legendary Seiko lume (beats my ScubaPro after however many years)! It's on the left:
    Name:  IMG_2205.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  201.1 KB

Thanks for reading and I'm glad I'm able to share a little of my watch history (I don't know any WISs in real life).

-Ben
    Last edited by Benny P; October 8th, 2012 at 19:52.
    Seiko: Shogun, Sumo
    Casio: W-800H

Re: Do you still have your first watch?

Thanks for sharing such a nice story, OP. My dad gave me my first Seiko and "nice" watch, a quartz mall Seiko, which was subsequently beaten up and trashed over the years. I recall dropping the watch and banging it against walls, surprised somewhat at its resilience, but not enough to care for its well-being. It was just something I wore out of habit.

I think I've had mine for over a decade. It's been the only watch I've worn as a daily beater before the watch bug hit me real hard more than a year ago.

The watch is still ticking, but it's pretty much retired. The last time I wore it was about a year ago.

Name:  myfirstSeiko.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  81.3 KB

Here it is on the left with my MM300 making a cameo appearance.
    The crystal is scratched to hell, but I've brushed the once polished case using a scotchbrite pad in an attempt to make it look better.
    Just your average Japanese watch fan: Casio, Citizen, Seiko

View my collection **here**

View my feedback by clicking **here**

Your friendly neighborhood enabler,

Otto

Yep, dont have a pic though. Timex Ironman. Still runs just fine. About 17-18 years old I think. Been through hell and back and still looks almost new.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ottovonn View Post
    Thanks for sharing such a nice story, OP. My dad gave me my first Seiko and "nice" watch, a quartz mall Seiko, which was subsequently beaten up and trashed over the years. I recall dropping the watch and banging it against walls, surprised somewhat at its resilience, but not enough to care for its well-being. It was just something I wore out of habit.

I think I've had mine for over a decade. It's been the only watch I've worn as a daily beater before the watch bug hit me real hard more than a year ago.

The watch is still ticking, but it's pretty much retired. The last time I wore it was about a year ago.

Here it is on the left with my MM300 making a cameo appearance.
    The crystal is scratched to hell, but I've brushed the once polished case using a scotchbrite pad in an attempt to make it look better.
    Very cool. Similar story with similar tastes. The MM300 is definitely in my sights for when I finish school (maybe the 600SD if I'm making bank).

No. It was a Westclox Pocket Ben and my mother dropped it in 1952 and broke it into a million pieces. I still have its replacement though - courtesy of my grandfather.
    Last edited by Ray MacDonald; October 8th, 2012 at 20:25.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

The first watch I bought, dont have it anymore but it was a calculator, data bank Casio. I remember my dad asked me to work 2 months in his factory just to buy this technologic horologic aparat :)during holidays break from school.

Yeah that story - Father in charge, teaching real life scenarios about earning money studies...Maybe it worked well, now I can buy a Blancpain Fifthy Fathoms with one month working :)

Last edited by Emre; October 8th, 2012 at 21:20.
    Ottovonn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing View Post
    Yep, dont have a pic though. Timex Ironman. Still runs just fine. About 17-18 years old I think. Been through hell and back and still looks almost new.
    Now that I think about it, I had an old digital before the Seiko (had a pic of a marlin on it). No idea where it went though.

Banned

I don't have much of a story behind it save it was a gift from my parents while I was in high school. I wore it constantly and learned to wear its strap tightly on my wrist after catching it atop a fence while climbing over it. I've worn my straps tight ever since. I've been partial to chronographs ever since. I don't which is more scratched, the watch or my iPhone lens.

Tissot Seastar Chronograph circa 1966
    Last edited by marchone; October 8th, 2012 at 20:29.
    Ottovonn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zyk1on View Post
    The first watch I bought, dont have it anymore but it was something this Casio, I remember my dad asked me to work 2 months in his factory just to buy this technologic horologic aparat :)during holidays break from school.

Yeah that story - Father in charge, teaching real life scenarios about earning money studies...Maybe it worked well, now I can buy a Blancpain Fifthy Fathoms with one month working :)
    Very nice. Quite inspirational.

First watch is this Casio G-Shock which is still in excellent condition. The PVD coating is holding up like a champ.
    Name:  IMG_1415.JPG
Views: 402
Size:  398.6 KB
    Ottovonn likes this.
    Current Collection
    Swiss: Rolex Subarmariner 14060, Omega Speedmaster Professional 3572.50 w/ Mitsukoshi Dial, Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Duo Ref. 2458422, Longines Legend Diver L3.774.4.50.6
    German: Stowa Flieger Klassik (Old Logo, No Date), Damasko DA36, Nomos Tangente Ref. 164
    Japanese: Casio Mudman, G-Shock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information