Do Your Physical Characteristics Play A Role In Watch Selection?
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Do Your Physical Characteristics Play A Role In Watch Selection?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Do Your Physical Characteristics Play A Role In Watch Selection?

In my ever lasting search for the perfect watch, I've lately thought about my overall body composition and even my general everyday choice in clothing as important factors in wearing a watch. Just as I think it wouldn't be (I know all of this is entirely subjective) appropriate for a generally business formal person to be sporting a fat G-Shock. I have a pretty muscular build, and usually wear simple clothing like denim jeans and a white t shirt. Very plain, boring. I've always worn a big watch. But lately I've been wearing a small, subtle timepiece which I'm actually enjoying more. I feel like with big arms, a small timepiece compliments rather than a large watch would probably seem like I was trying to EMPHASIZE which I'm not.

What's your general style? And do you try to wear a watch that looks natural on you?

Re: Do Your Physical Characteristics Play A Role In Watch Selection?

Interesting......Very interesing.
    And you choose white t-shirts?
    What brand of jeans?
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

I have wrists that are slightly over 7" but forearms that are abnormally muscular (to the point where some friends jokingly call me popeye since my biceps are not very large), so I really can't manage to wear watches smaller than 38-39mm without them appearing a bit strange (imo).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I just buy/wear watches I like. I ignore -- more because I don't have a lot of exposure to the vehicles that promote trends -- the trends that come and go regarding watches, although I may or may not have a watch that fits the trend. For example, I had no idea that larger watches were in vogue until I started reading threads on WUS, yet I've been wearing my Submariner for over 15 years.

I do happen to think that folks with large wrists look better wearing watches that don't look petite on their arms, but I wouldn't say the watch needs to be decidedly large to achieve that. The watch just shouldn't be unusually small. I suspect watch making companies agree for it's not lost on me that this trend for larger watches is coincident, at least in the US, with the increased corpulence of the general population. Whereas I'm neutral about watch size, I think large body size resulting from poor lifestyle habits -- over eating, not exercising, etc. -- is a bad thing.
    little big feather likes this.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    Cheers,
    Tony

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment.
    ― A.A. Milne

Being of a slight build (5' 10", 145 lbs), most of my watches are pretty much restricted to below 40mm unless I want to look like I'm sporting a manhole cover.

I am al for bringing smaller watches back 36mm-38mm, but even for me, some vintage watches seem really really small.

For me it's probably more about the strap than the watch. I'm 6'2" 300+ pounds so I generally like at least a 40mm watch. In some cases I have to use the last hole on a strap or replace the strap with a longer one. Also some leather straps look a little thin compared to a bracelet or rubber on me.
    Rolex Submariner
    Zenith Chronomaster XT Open El Primero

Omega Seamaster James Bond 007 Limited Edition
    Kobold Comanche
    Helson Sharkmaster
    Sinn U1
    Alpina Extreme Diver

Maurice Lacroix Miros
    Ball B&O First Mile

Edox Classe Royale Open Heart Automatic
    Shinola Brakeman 46

Luminox 3000 Navy Seal Diver
    Hamilton Khaki Navy Sub
    Seiko Black Monster
    Citizen Ecozilla
    Deep Blue Sunray Diver 1k
    and various other makes and models

I tend to wear larger watches in the fall and winter, when I'm wearing bulkier clothing--sweaters, jackets, hoodies, et al. The smaller watches disappear and look even smaller. In the summer, when I'm wearing a t-shirt or some other light clothing, I tend towards smaller watches, since they feel more in line with the slimmer attire. There are times in the summer when I wear a big watch, but that's only when I want to specifically call attention to the watch. I know for a lot of people it's the opposite, but that's my line of thinking.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

As a handsome man, I insist on only the very best looking watches.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

Definitely. I'm skinny with a typically small 6.2" Asian wrist and I can never bring myself to put on huge watches.
    Looks stupid IMO.
    ROLEX Datejust 36mm Blueberry;
    ROLEX Pepsi GMT-Master 16700 (Circa 1987);
    ZENITH El Primero 36'000 VPH Tri-Color;
    SEIKO Prospex Solar Tuna SBDN026 (1981/3000)

Considerations:
    AUDEMARS PIGUET Royal Oak 15450
    A.LANGE & SOHNE Saxonia Thin 37mm

Instagram: Horodiziac

I've got 7" wrists, average build and enjoy watches under 40mm. Although because of their lug design I do enjoy a 40mm and 42mm watch. Here in sunny Portland, Oregon I'm wearing a very comfortable 36mm Omega Seamaster from 1971.

For me it is more about wearing a good looking watch that feels comfortable when sized a bit loose.
    Last edited by John MS; October 7th, 2013 at 17:15.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information