Does Accuracy really matter?
Like Tree232Likes

Thread: Does Accuracy really matter?

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Does Accuracy really matter?

Greetings; first time ever on a watch forum, so apologies if my question seems naļve. I've noticed watch experts saying that since digital watches, mechanical accuracy is not so important...a watch is now more a piece of jewellery. But that disturbs me; surely the first and most central quality of a mechanical watch is first-class accuracy/regularity? Because that's the basic function of the watch..to tell the time.
    What's more, is not accuracy/regularity the one test that manufacturers cannot 'fudge'? I assume that excellent timekeeping is the necessary condition for any high-class watch. Lots of other things matter too, but the basic test is accuracy, on the wrist, over long periods. Or, as I said at the start, am I being naļve?
    BTW: my Rolex ND submariner and Miligauss GV both keep excellent time, about 1.5 seconds a day. That's the sort of level all decent watches should surely aim for. It can be done.

Re: Does Accuracy really matter?

I wear watches for intrinsic enjoyment the feeling they give me, not the accuracy

Also, since most of them are low end Seikos, the "feeling" I usually get is shame for not showing up on time

Very few people really need or worry about 5-10 secs difference in time. Almost any mechanical watch will never make you late unless you dont wear it or wind it daily. So requiring one to great accuracy is futile. Saying that I do Appreciate a fine watch that can keep time as good as a quartz watch. Some of the reason i wear a watch is for beauty as well. Even my 60.00 beater seiko sport 5 will keep time as well as anyone needs. My pet peave is the issue with quartz is the battery. When it dies you have a worthless watch. And when you change the battery ,if not done professionally the watertight ability is lost. Even when done professionally they leak now.

Samsung Note 4
    rfortson, mleok, JOSE G and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Greetings; first time ever on a watch forum, so apologies if my question seems naļve. I've noticed watch experts saying that since digital watches, mechanical accuracy is not so important...a watch is now more a piece of jewellery. But that disturbs me; surely the first and most central quality of a mechanical watch is first-class accuracy/regularity? Because that's the basic function of the watch..to tell the time.
    What's more, is not accuracy/regularity the one test that manufacturers cannot 'fudge'? I assume that excellent timekeeping is the necessary condition for any high-class watch. Lots of other things matter too, but the basic test is accuracy, on the wrist, over long periods. Or, as I said at the start, am I being naļve?
    BTW: my Rolex ND submariner and Miligauss GV both keep excellent time, about 1.5 seconds a day. That's the sort of level all decent watches should surely aim for. It can be done.
    The accuracy of a mechanical watch is important to me - to a point. I expect my watches to be within 5 seconds per day as that is my fascination with mechanical watches - how something that is 'micro-engineered' can still be close in accuracy to its modern electronic/battery/radio controlled counterparts. If they were 30 second+ out per day, then I wouldn't be so fascinated by them no matter how pretty they might be.

Accuracy is important to me as I am the guy who hates to be running late and is always early to an appointment or event. In my rotation a watch gets worn usually 3 days, some are Quartz and some are mechanical, the quartz of course are right on, if the mechanical (auto) are off I really don't notice as I do not count seconds.
    Only a biker knows why a dog hangs its head out the window.

The Road goes on forever, and the party never ends.

I rotate watches regularly so accuracy doesn't matter that much since I'm setting the watch each day anyway.

That said, if a watch being off 15 seconds per day makes you late, you're not really on time anyway. "On time" means a few minutes before the scheduled start time, and with the time staring you in the face from multiple sources all day, a watch being off a few seconds is a poor excuse.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
    EnderW, mleok, danfermat and 4 others like this.

If You want accuracy, quartz watch

If you want a craftsmanship, mechanical watch.
    My advice- buy a watch that pleases you. Don't let anyone judge or tell you what to wear. Good cheap and expensive watches are no different between them. Both still can tell the time.

Define accuracy.

10 minutes +- would make me late.
    whoa likes this.
    Money can't buy you happiness. But it can buy watches.

Quote Originally Posted by GETS View Post
    The accuracy of a mechanical watch is important to me - to a point. I expect my watches to be within 5 seconds per day as that is my fascination with mechanical watches - how something that is 'micro-engineered' can still be close in accuracy to its modern electronic/battery/radio controlled counterparts. If they were 30 second+ out per day, then I wouldn't be so fascinated by them no matter how pretty they might be.
    Yes, that's pretty much how I see it. It's the 'mechanicalness' (sorry!) of these watches which is so attractive. As we move deeper into the digital age, these remarkable mechanisms will seem a strange memento to centuries of skill and design. They truly are a piece of history on the wrist. And accuracy is a central part of such a design history.
    It's a bit like a very fast sports car, in many countries you can't use most of the speed, but you love the fact that it's there. I admire great accuracy in just the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownSekonda View Post
    If You want accuracy, quartz watch

If you want a craftsmanship, mechanical watch.
    There's no craftsmanship to admire if the watch is widely inaccurate. You might as well wear a decorated bracelet for the craft and look at your iPhone for the time.
    ev13wt, Veda, rpaar63 and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information