Does anyone know what this style is called?

Thread: Does anyone know what this style is called?

Banned

Does anyone know what this style is called?

Just the simple hour and minute hands with the seconds hand in a secondary dial down the bottom?

Last edited by swisseeker; November 15th, 2010 at 10:58.

Re: Does anyone know what this style is called?

Subsidiary seconds or "small seconds".

It's time only with subsidiary seconds display at 6:00.

It was of course seen on almost every pocketwatch made. Consequently the style carried forward to wristwatches as they became popular. The sub seconds style was popular through the 1950's but was eclipsed by the easier to read center seconds display.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

with that dial layout, many watch manufacturers call it a marine deck watch or a marine chronometer watch- styled after the old chronometers found on ships.

v76

If you go by pocket watch convention, the Stowa MO has a "Savonette" configuration where the winding stem is perpendicular to the seconds sub-dial axis (this is true for seconds sub-dial at "12" as well). The "Lepine" configuration is when the seconds sub-dial is along the axis of the winding stem (sub-dial at "9", or more uncommonly at "3").
    Last edited by v76; November 15th, 2010 at 15:17.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by BaCaitlin View Post
    with that dial layout, many watch manufacturers call it a marine deck watch or a marine chronometer watch- styled after the old chronometers found on ships.
    True, although the winding crown would commonly be found at 12:00 and would include an Up/Down or power reserve indicator on a marine chonometer. Placement of the winding crown at 3:00 was typically found on hunter cased pocket watches.

Quote Originally Posted by v76 View Post
    If you go by pocket watch convention, the Stowa MO has a "Savonette" configuration where the winding stem is perpendicular to the seconds sub-dial axis (this is true for seconds sub-dial at "12" as well). The "Lepine" configuration is when the seconds sub-dial is along the axis of the winding stem (sub-dial at "9", or more uncommonly at "3").
    Very cool. I didn't know any of that. So my Bernhardt is a Lepine configuration with a seconds subdial at 9 o'clock (and a pocket watch movement).
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Very cool. I didn't know any of that. So my Bernhardt is a Lepine configuration with a seconds subdial at 9 o'clock (and a pocket watch movement).
    It's actually a movement that was designed to have the crown at 12:00 in an open faced or lepine configuration found in a pocketwatch. Because the movement was rotated 90 degrees to put the crown at 3:00 the seconds hand also gets moved to 9:00. To have the crown at 3:00 and seconds at the more traditional 6:00 would require the use of a hunter or savonette style pocketwatch movement in a wristwatch case.

Thread Information