Does the average person notice a bracelet/strap more than the actual watch?
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Does the average person notice a bracelet/strap more than the actual watch?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Just a random thought for this morning...

I'm not the type of person who is out there looking for or expecting compliments for anything I wear. It's always a surprise when a random stranger does compliment me for something I'm wearing. However, the times that I have received random compliments on my watch, more often, it turned out that the person actually liked the strap or bracelet and didn't seem interested in what the watch was.

For example, I used to wear a vintage Seamaster and a woman at an event complimented me on it with, "Ooooh I love your watch!" She asked to see it so I raised my wrist and started to explain "It's an older Omega..." but she seemed disinterested in the make/model. It was the lizard grain strap that caught her eye. "So pretty... fancy."

Another example - I was at a coffee shop last week and two of the employees took an interest in what I was wearing. "Let me see!!," one said. So I showed them and, again, they were not interested in the watch itself. They liked the mesh bracelet and commented that it was very stylish.

This type of thing has happened more than people taking an interest in the actual watch. The same thing happened when I used to wear an Aqua Terra - someone stopped me in a grocery store because they liked the shiny bracelet.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Edit: I should add that everything I wear usually looks pretty understated and I'm never wearing any wild or bright colored straps or bracelets. Never any gold either.
    Last edited by Rosarito; August 7th, 2019 at 19:08.

Re: Does the average person notice a bracelet/strap more than the actual watch?

I feel like people notice bright colors more than anything. If your watch is red, they'll notice the watch. If your strap is red, they'll notice the strap. Same for shiny gold.

Despite wearing watches with values well over $10k (not a flex, just making a point so hold on), the watch that garnered the most admiring comments was my $700 Hamilton Pan Europe chronograph AFTER ATTACHING A MESH BRACELET. It was like a magnet for strangers' eyes.

On a related note, back in the early 90's I had a customer (at the bank where I worked) sporting a 60's Tissot triple register chronograph on a silver and turquoise cuff. I said I liked his watch, and he spun into a story about the silver cuff. I was a bit sheepish when I said it was the actual watch I liked. He was surprised, and said he only put that watch on there because his usual watch had a dead battery. A few days later, he sold the Tissot to me for $40 (without the cuff), which more than paid for the battery he needed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Time Exposure View Post
    Despite wearing watches with values well over $10k... the watch that garnered the most admiring comments was my $700 Hamilton Pan Europe chronograph AFTER ATTACHING A MESH BRACELET. It was like a magnet for strangers' eyes.
    Beautiful watch - I agree it looks great on the mesh. Great examples too.

A straight answer to the thread question--no, not that I have seen.
    Rosarito and Dan T. like this.

Adding a little color. I'm embarrassed to tell this story but it's funny. When I was just out of college, I didn't know a thing about watches and just liked fashion watches. My cousins bought me a Gucci watch for my college graduation and I just thought it was the coolest thing in the world, and I started buying fun, bright colored Swatches. After a few years of working, I splurged on this monstrous red watch (I forget the brand). It looked like a big Franck Muller watch, and it was bright red with a glossy red leather strap. A coworker that I was friendly with gave me all kinds of crap for wearing such a flashy watch and would tell me I needed to get a "serious watch." He had some chunky watch but I had no clue what it was.

That summer, I went out with the coworker to a bar in NY, and I had a girl compliment me on the watch and we started chatting. She was a friend of a friend but she initiated conversation based solely on the watch. She said she loved red and always wanted a watch that was red. The coworker, who, it turns out, was wearing a Panerai Luminor, had smoke coming out of his ears.
    Last edited by barbecoa; August 7th, 2019 at 18:35.

No

Me neither.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

guess its cause straps are less complicated so probably easier to judge/take it all in initially, especially for those who arent super into watch technicalities lol
    Rosarito likes this.

It seems to be a colour thing more than a bracelet or strap difference. If you change from a black to a silver bracelet then the chances are high that it will go unnoticed but if you change to a yellow strap all of a sudden then that tends to catch people’s attention.
    Rosarito likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information