Does brand and origin of manufacturing really matter?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Does brand and origin of manufacturing really matter?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does brand and origin of manufacturing really matter?

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and normally, I do not wear watches. I don't wear watches at all. Recently, I've found the need to have a watch, since I am frequenting situations where I can't pull my phone out to look at the time. I don't want a smart watch. I worked towards being less connected, and I am keeping in that direction.

With anything else in my life, I buy quality mid to top tier products. I don't care for luxury, so should I have the same mindset for watches? I don't want to spend too much, but I also don't want to walk around with a crane game watch. I narrowed it down to two models: Victorinox Alliance and Citizen Stiletto.

Is one better than the other? I like the aesthetics with both and would have both if I wore watches often, but I really only want to buy one. The Victorinox, as I am sure you all know, is Swiss made. The Citizen, I'm not sure. But from research, it appears that parts on the Citizen is coming out of China. Could this also be true for the Victorinox? I think I heard somewhere that Swiss made does not actually mean 100% Swiss made.

Thanks for help!

Re: Does brand and origin of manufacturing really matter?

Strictly speaking no to both. That being said these are luxury purchases. Any watch over $50 in my books is a luxury purchase. This figure is highly subjective but as I see it through the eyes of Johnny average, you don’t need to spend any more than $50 on a watch that works and will work for years. So yes, both those matter.

My money would go on the citizen

It doesn’t matter to me. So long as I like the watch I don’t care about the brand or where it might or might not be made. Both of the watches you’ve narrowed your search down to are very nice and will give you excellent service. If I was forced to choose then I too would vote Citizen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Being made in Switzerland is NOT a guarantee of high quality. Being made in China is NOT a guarantee of low quality.

If you read the posts for the various brands, LOTS of people have various problems with their expensive Swiss watches. And a surprising number of people have high praise for their inexpensive Asian watches.

It just depends what you want the watch to "do"....if timekeeping, durability and lower maintenance are important, choose quartz, and especially solar quartz digital.

a Casio from 1990, still working perfectly...
    Name:  Casio TGW100 2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  297.6 KB

a newer Casio, with solar charging and atomic time synchronization
    Name:  GW 5000 18.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  101.5 KB

If tradition and prestige are important, choose automatic.

a Bulova with an automatic Miyota (Citizen) movement
    Name:  Bulova 96a119.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  310.7 KB

a Vostok, made in Russia, with an automatic movement
    Name:  vostok 670922 9.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  214.0 KB
    Last edited by Ron521; January 31st, 2018 at 14:53.

Welcome to the site.

Here is some information regarding the "swiss made" rules:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_...nimum_standard

Between the two you mention, you can safely just pick the one you prefer and go for it. Both are of a good quality and you don't need to be concerned about issues arising from where the component parts were manufactured.

Would concur with the above - I'd be looking to spend not much more than £50 on any Timex/Japanese quartz that you like the look of. You'll be paying over the odds for anything else. Be aware that automatics, if you're tempted, while preferred among the majority here, have lousy timekeeping compared to the lowliest quartz.

...and congrats to Ron on his 1,000th post...

To me, a good, reputable brand (regardless of tiers/origin, etc) will care about quality, so perhaps it does matter in a sense - but not too an extent that it becomes a blanket statement.

I respect both Victorinox and Citizen and I wouldn't have any problem buying from both - even if some/majority of the parts are from China.
    And yes, "Swiss Made" does not imply 100% Swiss

Quote Originally Posted by tototacoro View Post
    Hi, I'm new to the forum, and normally, I do not wear watches. I don't wear watches at all. Recently, I've found the need to have a watch, since I am frequenting situations where I can't pull my phone out to look at the time. I don't want a smart watch. I worked towards being less connected, and I am keeping in that direction.

With anything else in my life, I buy quality mid to top tier products. I don't care for luxury, so should I have the same mindset for watches? I don't want to spend too much, but I also don't want to walk around with a crane game watch. I narrowed it down to two models: Victorinox Alliance and Citizen Stiletto.

Is one better than the other? I like the aesthetics with both and would have both if I wore watches often, but I really only want to buy one. The Victorinox, as I am sure you all know, is Swiss made. The Citizen, I'm not sure. But from research, it appears that parts on the Citizen is coming out of China. Could this also be true for the Victorinox? I think I heard somewhere that Swiss made does not actually mean 100% Swiss made.

Thanks for help!
    Does brand origin and place of manufacturing matter? Yes, without a doubt.
    Do they matter in this case? Absolutely not.

Victorinox and Citizen are both respected established brands. Buy either with no worry. Quality will be on par for comparable watches. Keyword is comparable. Victorinox range is wide, but not as wide as Citizen. There are Citizens that are $$$ that blow away Victorinox, and there are $ Citizens that are not close to Victorinox avg watch quality.
    They are different watches w Alliance being mechanical, and Stilleto being quartz or ecodrive (usually).
    Both will have high China made content. And that's ok. Your iPhone is built in China. In this case, it's not about China, but rather Swiss and Japanese corporate design, quality control and oversight.

Buy either one with confidence
    slcbbrown likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Quote Originally Posted by tototacoro View Post

Thanks for help!
    I would argue that at least one component of a watch company's brand is very important. An established reputation for manufacturing well designed, durable and stylish watches and standing behind them is something I look for.

The country of origin displayed on watch dial is important to some watch owners more than others. My opinion is that globalized manufacturing is a fact of modern watch making. Whether some percentage of the components were manufactured someplace within one country is not all that important to me. Again the manufacturers reputation for producing durable, reliable, well finished watches is much more important to me than knowing the geographic location of where the work was performed.
    soaking.fused likes this.

Made in China will barely get a passing glance and Italy, a slight pause.
    Synequano likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information